Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinky Winky hydrangea

Posted by ktyms1 5A (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 12:43

I told the lady at the nursery I needed a hydrangea for a very shady location.At first she said to buy a phantom but then she found out she was out of them. She showed me a pinky winky and said that that would work fine as well. Now that I have it home and did some research it turns out the pinky winky is one of the few hydrangeas that prefers full sun!I put it in another available location. This location gets dappled morning sunlight from about 6:30 a.m. until about 11 a.m. Then it gets full sunlight from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m., then dappled afternoon sun for about another hour. After that it is in full shade for the rest of the day.Will this be enough sun to keep it happy and flower well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinky Winky hydrangea

It sounds like it should work. Paniculatas can stand a lot of sun. But in the southern half of the country, paniculatas need to be in the shade during the afternoon (summer months only) because the leaves will scorch in no time at all. In the northern states, the sun -in the summer- is not as strong as it is here so paniculatas can be "in full sun".

You do not say where you are located so test the location and inspect the shrub often from now until the end of summer to make sure that the leaves in cirect contact with the sun do not begin to scorch. If they do, transplant it to a shadier location. Hydrangeas are quite tough and transplant well a second time as long as you try to get as much of the root ball as you can.

o

As popular as hydrangeas are, some nursery people really get stuff confused about them - I guess because they have so many other plants to worry about, hence a lot of details to remember. In the end, if you are in need of certain types of plants, it doesn't hurt to research the Net for ideas, reliability and performance first. It can save you a lot of time and money.

o

It should be just fine. I've had mine for about 5 years, gets full sun from 12 to 3, and it's just lovely. Covered in blooms. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here