Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyinva

Who has Little Lime????

sandyinva
13 years ago

I thought I would have to wait until next year or so for a smaller version of Limelight. Who has purchased Little Lime and what do you have to say about it? Is it as pretty as limelight? Can you post pictures?

Thanks in advance,

Sandy

Comments (19)

• tricia257
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting this question. I also am looking for a compact hydrangea to possibly replace some annabelles that seem to be taking over. I would be curious to know how hard it is to keep them in check. I have room for them to get 5-6 feet wide but I really need to keep them around 4' high or they will block windows.

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

Consider Tickled Pink has well...I have one that I planted this year. Its just starting to bloom.

I plan to add Little Lime next year. It will be tough to find anyone with a decent size plant right now, your just going to have to try it.

• sandyinva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

whaas,
    I would love to see how the bloom compares to full size Limelight.

Sandy

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

I stopped by a nursery that had Little Lime for sale. Some of the Little Lime specimens' blooms were in the broccoli stage. One shrub seemed more "advanced" -bloomage wise- than the others. Its blooms were small, still green but oddly, they resembled mophead blooms (from afar). When you got closer, you could tell they were more panicle-like but barely. I expected to see more resemblance to Limelight's blooms but maybe one has to wait until the plant matures. The leaves were very dark green (compared to some of the other hydrangeas that they had for sale).

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I put five little limes in for my fondation planting this spring. They were little 1 gallon containers. No flower buds yet, but thats expected with our cool spring.

I have high expectations for these little limes!

• bellafiore
    12 years ago

my 3 little limes have panicle shaped blooms and are gorgeous, just like limelight. no telling yet what the mature size will be, of course.

• melaroma
    12 years ago

Bellafiore, could you post pics? Id also like to see pics of how they look.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    12 years ago

I do not have little lime, but have a couple lime lights. My neighbor planted 8 of these at the end of June, they now have beautiful lime green blooms, similar size (maybe only slightly smaller) to Lime light. I think they bloom earlier than typical because they have been grown in the nursery. My lime lights now have buds that are a couple inches long.

After seeing these little lime, I can't wait to get some. Except I need to find space for them:)

Vivian

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I have a small massing of 5 that I can post. The blooms are looking ok but the foilage is not doing so great. Its mainly from a combination of that area flooding at one point and strong winds from this spring snapping the main stem from the roots.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Here we go! Keep in mind these plants are quite stressed.

{{gwi:998522}}

{{gwi:240880}}

• melaroma
    12 years ago

I bought one of these little guys three days ago and have it parked in the shade. I watered it as soon as I brought it home but didn't water the next day and bam, it shriveled up and wilted. I have watered it twice since and will not be able to put it in the ground until Saturday so I brought it inside and placed it in my sunlit basement near a window so that it still gets some sun yet gets cooler temps. Will it be ok there or should I take it back outside? I don't want to shock it later by a drastic change in temp but I don't want to loose the little guy either.

• ejr2005
    12 years ago

I bought a Little Lime in the spring and put it in the ground were it gets a fair amount of sun. A new Blushing Bride and MiniPenny are nearby. The BB and MP have had a really hard time, needing water often. The LL was a champ until about 2 weeks ago when I got really busy and didn't check on it. When I did look had dropped a lot of leaves. So I watered it and then we got rain. It seems to be okay though not as full. My blooms are still green, while my Limelight tree (new last year) has mostly white blooms now. So it's hard to compare, plus they're both so new.

melaroma - I don't know a lot, but would think it would be fine outside - just watered regularly. They do like sun.

I bought a few hydrangeas last year. Most did okay, but my Bluebird had a really hard time. I know you're not supposed to water them every day, but I did. If not it would droop a lot and it wasn't even in a lot of sun. This year it's great.

• melaroma
    12 years ago

Well mine seems to be doing much better inside so maybe I will bring it out during the morning and nights until I can put her in the ground.

One thing that I notice from the picture on the label is that the flowers do not turn white as it's parent Limelight does. It seems that it will go from green to pink. Even if this is so I still think that it has gorgeous blooms but I would love it if it would turn a true white. Anyone else have a different experience?

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

Hello, melaroma. Are you saying that it does not go from green to white at all? like Limelight? Or that it does not stay white long enough?

• melaroma
    12 years ago

Luis, so far it appears not to go to white at all, although the blooms do get to be a really lite green so kind of white-ish but not quite. I have it close to my limelight which is blooming a pure white right now so the difference can be told.

The flowers are also a mix of an annabell and a limelight - not perfectly round but not as cone shaped as it's parent. However I must note that from the street the blooms still captivate your attention. All in all it's a nice plant and so far I do not regret buying it.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Did my pictures not turn up? Mine where white for almost a month.

• ejr2005
    12 years ago

Mine haven't turned white yet and have started turning pink.

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

I wonder if your shrub turned white before you purchased it. Color changes on the first year can be so out of whack compared to the norm.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Consider the searing heat an issue too!!