Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-flowering Hydrangea

Posted by bonleigh Zone 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 14, 09 at 13:02

I have three large, beautiful hydrangeas, all planted at the same time three years ago. The first two years all three flowered well. I have neither pruned nor fertilized them. This year the center hydrangea is flowering but the two on either side have no flowers at all. All receive the same amount of sun and shade and are not subject to being eaten by deer, etc.
I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-flowering Hydrangea

Do you try to maintain constant soil moisture on all during the summer and winter as much as much as is practical? Flower buds can be killed by a sudden lack of water.

What varieties are these? Some like the Endless Summer Hydrangea cause a lot of bloomage problems posts in the Forum.

Did the hydrangeas on the sides not have any flower buds this Spring? Lack of buds suggests that something killed them, usually winter or moisture problems. Any competing plants or trees around them? Any juglone-producing trees (black walnut, butternut, etc)?

Luis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here