Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda1270

Vanilla Strawberry Hydrangea - Prunning?

LindaMA
11 years ago

My Vanilla Strawberry Hydrangea, which has been planted in this spot for 2 years now, well this is the 2nd summer, last summer there weren't any flowers yet. Anyway, it's growing very leggy and I'm wondering if someone can tell me the best way to prune it? The stem in the middle is getting very tall now and has no buds on it, would it be okay to cut that down and if so, when would be the best time to do this? The other stems are getting pretty long also but they have just started to flower and I do not want to mess with them now. I would like to make this plant bushier/fuller, is that possible? It's growing right into my rhododendron, which is good ways away from it, or at least it was when I planted it.

It seems to be doing okay where it is, even though it gets afternoon sun. My other two hydrangeas, ES and Nikko Blue are looking quite wilted from the extreme heat and sun. They didn't look that way last year. Anyway, a photo of the Vanilla Strawberry is posted below. Hopefully somebody can give me some pointers on how to make it look a little less leggy.

{{gwi:1012151}}

{{gwi:1012151}}

Comments (4)