Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junipercussion

A Beloved Hydrangea, A Crisis

junipercussion
13 years ago

Four years ago, I bought a macrophylla hydrangea from a greenhouse and planted it in my yard. Reading this forum has made me realize that this isn't advisable, but, well, this plant was an exception. It still lives and blooms--though I've now moved away from the home where I'd planted it.

Before I moved, I took a cutting of the plant, rooted it successfully, and it was blooming in its pot when I drove from Massachusetts to Iowa, the little plant on my lap the whole way. Let's just say I develop very deep attachments to plants. This one became a symbol of my old life in Massachusetts, which I'd left very reluctantly when I decided to get a graduate degree from the University of Iowa. I'd wanted to wait to plant my hydrangea in the yard until I actually had a yard to call my own, so I kept it potted (repotting once). It thrived for two years in a pot that I took outdoors in the summer and indoors at first frost. Until now.

The cause of my crisis? Simple, dumb, obvious underwatering. I left on a nine-day trip, and gave a friend the watering duties. Once I got to my destination, the friend called to tell me that she couldn't find the key I'd hidden. Turns out I'd used that key and had forgotten to replace it.

Ok, I thought, nine days, it might live. I'd left it indoors--away from the rabbits who once chewed its single blossom off--so no direct sun. I couldn't just fly back home, so I hoped for the best.

When I returned yesterday, the plant's leaves were crispy, and a thorough watering, combined with an overnight in a saucer of water, have not changed that condition. I have removed the plant from the saucer of water now. Is there anything I can do? This cutting I made was very small, and the plant is only about three inches tall. It has two very small stems topped with a wreath of leaves and every spring produces a single 2-inch pompom of a flower. Pruning seems to be the answer to most hydrangea problems, but pruning this plant would mean cutting it all the way to the ground. Any advice? Do you think my dear hydrangea might revive? If not this summer, next spring? Any tips on what I should do in the meantime? Thank you so much for any response.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz