Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangeas in Florida

Posted by rita_abend (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 13:17

Hi! Is anyone in Florida growing Hyrangeas and what kind of success are you having? Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Rita
-----------------------------------------
Rita Abend
Married to JJ Abend
1 Daughter
Enjoy gardening, sewing, homeschooling
-----------------------------------------

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangeas in Florida

There are a lot of people who grow them as south as the Orlando Area. They require a lot of water, about 50% more than normal because of the sandy soil in some places though. Shade is needed during the summer months, starting around 10-11 am or the leaves will sunscorch. They will still go dormant but very late, around January or so. Then they will leaf out about a month later. Water when the soil feels almost dry or dry to a depth of 4". Apply lots of compost top the soil when preparing the planting hole if you have sandy soil. Maybe as high as 50%. Fertilize with a 1 cup of cottonseed meal, compost or manure in May and June. In Spring, apply garden sulphur, green sand, aluminum sulphate, iron chelated liquid compounds, etc if you happen to live in alkaline areas. Growing in pots may also help where the soil is particularly bad. It also allows you to easily move the shrub if there is a problem with the planting location. Luis

o
RE: Hydrangeas in Florida

I live in the tampa bay area of Florida. This is my second year growing hydrangeas. I think they do better than you expect. Plant them where they get morning sun only, but not complete shade. You will need to water them, but really not more than you would a lot of other flowers.

Mine went dormant, sort of. The leaves developed red spots and partially remained green. In the spring when the new growth started I just took off the old leaves. It was really slow to start the new growth.

I suggest you get a reblooming variety like endless summer ( I have this one). We have a long growing season and I appreciate a rebloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here