Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
prune newly purchased ES Original?(pics)

Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 13:30

I've purchased a 2 gallon ES Original and am not sure whether to prune off the old blooms. I've read the posts on this forum and found different answers. I picked through the assortment packed tightly in the store display to find a well branched plant in the back middle. So many of them had twisted stems and lacked leaves in center. Some had dried up looking stems as well as blooms with no new buds present, so I avoided those. I assume the darker parts on leaves is due to drought in the rootbound container held at the retail store. I will remove the torn leaves.

I plan to layer some of the lower branches to root. Our 1st frost is mid October and mild, rainy weather in 40s usually all winter with an annual total of 60-80 inches a year. We have occasional cold snaps with winter low of 13 degrees. Should I prune off the old blooms?

side view

view of base with branching and damaged leaf

top view

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: prune newly purchased ES Original?(pics)

Cut all the blooms off now, along with accompanying leaves and the additional length of "bloom stems" (usually 2-6") down to whichever leaf node on the stems that has the next healthy set of bulging buds.

A stem that produced a large bloom at its end will now produce at least two blooms of equal or smaller size by frost from where the newer buds "wye" off the stem you just cut back.

All rebloomers work off the same principle. Unless you cut the old blooms off, the plant will have a hard time reblooming from the same main stems in the same season.

If there are any badly crossing stems that are growing contradictory to the directions you'd like to see, cut these off in early spring when the plant is breaking dormancy.

o
RE: prune newly purchased ES Original?(pics)

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 14:46

Thank you~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here