Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drich30099

What kind of pink hydrangeas do I buy?

drich30099
13 years ago

Hi, i'm new to hydrangeas and have a spot where I'm taking out some lilacs and putting in hydrangeas. I LOVE pink. I like the big ball type, I have 3 Maresi, i believe the lacecap flower-type, that have bloomed for the first time in seven yrs.!!

So, i would like them to bloom every summer faithfully, I understand some new varieties will do that.

I've been to Menards and they have them on clearance, a Cardinal Red, which looked pinnk to me, nice big flowers, and Pink Beauty, flowers looked a little small, and another one that had pink in the name but I forgot it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments (3)

• sue36
    13 years ago

There is a new pink Annabelle, called Invincible Spirit. I am personally not a fan of the color, it is sort of a mauve-y muddy pink. But Annabelle are faithful bloomers in Zone 5.

• alisande
    13 years ago

Sadie Ray is noted for its hardiness and will bloom pink or blue, depending on the soil pH. Here's what Sandusky Valley nursery says about it:

Hydrangea macrophylla  Sadie RayÂ. Here is the most reliable hydrangea available. It was discovered in northern Indiana where it has bloomed for over 50 years. Northern Indiana is zone 5 and has quite cold winters yet this plant comes back and blooms every year. Probably the best hydrangea for zone 5. A good selection for colder areas where other hydrangeas fail to bloom.Blooms will be pink or blue depending on soil pH. Flowers are similar to Nikko Blue. It should be planted in good soil with some peat moss added to increase vigor and kept watered especially in the south. It can grow in full sun or half shade and should be grown in some shade in the south. This plant can grow 3-5 feet tall and is hardy from zone 5-9. I recommend first winter protection in zone 5. A rose cone does well for this purpose. Planting on a southern exposure also helps in zone 5. Winter protection is less important for this variety but it wouldnÂt hurt for the first season.

We're colder than Zone 5 here. I planted my Sadie Ray last year, and the only protection I gave it was protection from deer and rabbits: I surrounded it with chicken wire for the first year. I'm very impressed with its growth and bloom. It was the first to appear in early spring, but all its nice new growth was killed off by a freeze in June. So it just started all over again. I'm very happy with it.

• joannemb
    13 years ago

Hobella is not a traditional mop top---but is a really pretty pastel pink (not as light as blushing bride) but not as dark as Endless summer. It starts out like a lace-cap, but then turns into a moptop (although a slightly flattened one--similar to Sister Theresa's flower shape) as the season progresses. I am not a fan of pink but almost bought this one because it was so different and so beautiful. I'm not usually drawn to lace caps, but this one is different---"fluffy" is the only way I can think to describe it. If you are set on a traditional mop-top, blushing bride is white, and blushes pink in alkaline soil, while endless summer will be a darker pink in sweeter soil as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hobella flower