Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmac96

How are those 'Forever and Ever' hydrangeas doing?

tmac96
18 years ago

Last year I bought and ES that grew and grew but never bloomed. This year I thought I would try some others. I purchased the ones that I have planned to get but then saw another as I was about to leave. It was a hydrangea called "Forever and Ever" and was advertised as being able to bloom on old AND new wood and was hardy to zone 4. Could it compete with my ES? It was at a reasonable price so I thought I'd give it a try. I remember some posts about this plant and was wondering how everyone else's is doing.

Mine is doing VERY well! It has strong, thick stems and huge, dark green foliage. I have NEVER seen such large foliage on such a small plant. (It is still just around 12" tall, but the leaves are nearly 4-5" across.) The blooms are beautiful. Mine only has 2 right now, but they show beautiful colors. On the first bloom, there was pink, blue and purple! (I'll try to post pics later today.) The blooms are sturdy too. Don't wilt too much (like my ES does) and holds us in heavy rains. I am very happy with it. Don't know about the "blooms on new wood" though. We'll see.

My ES on the other hand, I am not happy with. It did bloom pretty profusely this year so I was very happy at first. Then the heat came. We've had a VERY hot summer this year and that thing wilted every afternoon regardless of how much I watered it. (It was even in the shade during the afternoon. My Forever and Ever was right next to it and rarely wilted.) My ES also had somewhat spindly stems that could not hold the blooms in the rain. After the first storm, the thing looked like someone stepped on it! Even after the blooms dried out, it never perked back up. The leaves are small and bright green instead of the dark green that all my other hydrangeas are. Maybe there is something wrong with it -- nutrient deficiency? I don't know.

Well, so far, my Forever and Ever is far outperforming my ES. Now lets just see if it actually makes it through winter!

Comments (44)

• Jen26
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is an interesting post... I thought somebody here said that ES and Forever & Ever are one and the same plant, but F&E looks different than ES to me. My ES is doing the light-green foliage thing too, and now, some of the leaves have turned white with green veins. Very strange! This is only happening on second year plants, the new ES are fine. Anyway, I will be interested in the comments of others about F&E.

• Gary M
    18 years ago

I also purchased Forever & Ever. It has been blooming all summer. Wonderful large green leaves. I have a Duley (sp) that is blooming great but has light green foliage, some of the leaves turned white with green veins. I fertlize like I do with the rest of my plants.

Gary

• tmac96
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is a pic of one of my Forever and Ever blooms:

{{gwi:999132}}

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

Tmac...great pic!!...it does not look at all like ES. The bloom is very neat and tidy and the sepals look more cupped (like Brestenburg or Mathilda Gutges) than flat overlapping like ES and the leaves are very dark green and deeply serrated. It's true that a picture is worth a thousand words so thanks for the info.....yg

• ostrich
    18 years ago

This is a very interesting thread! Thanks for bringing this up. I was also wondering about this Forever & Ever hydrangea too - does it turn pink or blue (depending on the soil acidity) like Endless Summer too? Or is it pretty much just pink all the time? I am wondering where I can sneak one in here in my yard....

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

It is good to hear positive comments about this Hydrangea (and the pictures are great!). I saw it in the Lowes flyer earlier this year, but I have never seen one in the store. There does not seem to be much info on the 'net about this one (a search on Google turned this up as the top hit). Maybe I will have to drop by my local Lowes and check things out.

- Brent

• tmac96
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If you find one, let me know! I would love to find more of these, but our Lowe's is sold out and has been for quite some time. I hope they carry it again next year.

Just so everyone knows, I took more pictures and posted them on another thread titled, "Forever and Forever" Hydrangea (it's really supposed to be "Forever and Ever"). :-)

• ostrich
    18 years ago

tmac96, where in OH are you? If you're near Lake County, I saw some Forever and Ever hydrangeas in the Willoughby store just last week! Now you make me want to just go out there and get one today.... hee hee....

• tmac96
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ostrich -- I don't live in Lake County but I live close enough! Did you see it at just the Lowe's there in Willoughby? I can't quite think of where it is located...have to do a search. Anyway, how big were the plants? Did they look healthy? If so, it looks like a road trip is in my near future!

Thanks so much for the tip!

• ostrich
    18 years ago

Hey, tmac, the Lowe's in Willoughby is just off of Euclid Avenue, close to Rte 91. It's close to Target there. I think they were in 2 gallon pots and they did look pretty healthy! There were also some Endless Summer left too. I have not been to the other Lowe's lately because I like this one the best - they seem to take care of their plants better than some other ones... so even though I don't live in Lake Co. I go there anyway.

I also was in Petitti in Oakwood Village today. They had all the perennials and shrubs at 50% off now. There were some gorgeous hydrangeas! One of them particularly tempted me - was it "Pretty in Pink" or something like that? It has lovely pink blooms and these gorgeous reddish leaves. The 2 gallon ones were selling for $29.99 so after 50% off they would be $15. Very tempting indeed! But I need to find space for it though.... that's the only thing that held me back!!!!!!!! LOL!

• tmac96
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ostrich -- you are SO tempting me! Oakwood village is the Pettiti's that I always go to! I live in Streetsboro so it's the closest one. I didn't know they had reduced ALL of their perrenials and shrubs already! I will have to go. My husband and I bought a new house a few months ago and we are in the process of doing our landscaping. It's new construction, so as far as the yard, we are truly starting from scratch! I have nothing BUT space! I can't wait to fill it! Sales -- Here I come!

Oh by the way, don't know if you are interested, but Breezewood in Bainbridge is having a sale next weekend. ALL plants are at least 20% off. What's nice is that they have a 5 year warrantee on all plants -- 5 year! They have some nice hydrangeas too -- big 'Glowing Embers' and a few others I can't remember right now. If it's not too far for you, it might be worth the trip! :-)

• ostrich
    18 years ago

tmac, congratulations on your new home! It must be so exciting to start fresh! So many options and opportunities...

I think the Petitti sale is new. It was not there last week. So go now to pick out the best stuff! Last year, by the end of August, what they had left in the sale was pretty sad looking. Certainly the hydrangeas then looked pretty dry and miserable. However, their hydrangeas now look really healthy and lush!

I went to Breezewood once, and I thought it was pretty pricey! LOL! 20% off.... hmm.... I consider something a real sale when it's at least 50% off!!! LOL!

I wonder if Gale's has started their sale yet? How about Bremec, Sunnybrook Farms or Eagle Creek? I have never been to Eagle Creek but my colleague raves about it. I love Sunnybrook Farms! What is your favorite nursery?

• tmac96
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ostrich -- Thank you SO much for the tip! My husband and I spent a small fortune at Petitti's today, but it was well worth it! We got so many nice plants! I even got a PG tree! I might stop back there again this week to pick out a few more things. I owe you for that tip!

As far as Breezewood, it is a little pricey. I was planning on getting my PG tree there. It was $70 but with the 20% off this weekend, that was helpful. The one at Petitti's was still cheaper though and they had bigger selection. I still almost bought the one at Breezewood though because even if it cost a few more $$, it came with a 5 year warrantee. That's nice! I feel confident in my PG though and just went with the one at Petitti's. Breezewood is nice though because they do offer a nicer selection of some things, like hardy geranium for example. I will be going there to get a few of those this weekend.

My husband and I just went to Eagle Creek for the first time this weekend. They are VERY expensive we thought! They have some really beautiful things though. I saw a gigantic 'Cardinal Red' that had blooms at least 10" across. Too bad it was $50! I also saw some really nice Limelights. That is what I have! Their plants were half the size as mine but had HUGE blooms. I bought my plant at Gales in Willoughby for $20. Theirs at Eagle Creek was $50! WOAH! I'd say, Eagle Creek is nice for looking...that's about it. Oh, and they do have some home-grown produce that is very inexpensive. That's about all that appealed to us though. They are having a sale this weekend too, but I agree with you -- 20% is not enough -- they would need to get to 50% just to match other store's everyday prices! Call me when you are at 90% off! I probably shouldn't hold my breath for that one, huh?! :-)

Gales is one of my favorite nurseries. They seem to have a lot of what I am looking for and before most other nurseries have them. They seem to take good care of their plants too. I will be stopping their tomorrow after I hit Lowe's. Petitti's here in Oakwood is nice too. I've been going there just a few months. I've never heard of Bremed and Sunnybrook Farms. Maybe I should look them up. We are new to this area and don't know about too many nurseries up this way. We used to live further south, by Akron. We used to go to Donzell's a lot (which I think is a sister store to Gale's, but I could be wrong). Another nursery that I heard is REALLY good is Dayton's Nursery. That's in Norton though and would be quite a road trip for us. Maybe next year.

Well, that's it for now. I'll let you know what I see at Gales! :-)

• ostrich
    18 years ago

tmac! You must tell us what you got from Petitti! It sounds so exciting!!! Please tell us what treasures you found there. I would love to know!

Oh, you won't believe it. I went to both the Homestead Division of the Sunnybrook Farms (the Homestead Division is now a separate entity and they specialize in hostas - over 1800 varieties on display in their acres of hosta gardens!!!) and Bremec yesterday. Oh la la! The Homestead Division is going to start their hosta sale on August 14, while Bremec will have their annual sale starting on August 12!!! Both places are really worth visiting. The Homestead Division is like this family business on a big farm. One of the ladies there gave me a tour on a golf cart (!) - it was one of the most informative gardening tours I have ever been on!!! It's a very down-to-earth family run business, with extremely nice people who are passionate about what they do. I love it! Sunnybrook Farms (which is next door to Homestead) is also well worth a visit because they also have the same passion about what they do. Such nice people! Also, great selection of plants! The prices are not bad either.

Now, Bremec is very different. Bremec is like a family business that has grown into a very professional organization, with a landscaping division, a pottery division etc. etc. People there even wear uniform T-shirts. It's kinda upscale, and the prices are higher (but not that bad). Anyway, they have a very exciting selection of hostas too, with some unusual perennials. I heard that their sale will be great.

Sunnybrook Farms/Homestead Division is on Mayfield Road in Chesterland, a couple miles east of Rte 306 (Chillicothe Road), on the north side of Mayfield. It's literally a farm. I urge you to go and visit.

Bremec is on Rte 306 (Chillicothe Road) in Chesterland, just a couple miles north of Mayfield, on the east side of the street.

Any other good nursery in this area.... well, Gali's in Beachwood is small, but good. Very knowledgeable lady there. The prices are not super but reasonable. Very good selection of plants. It's on Chagrin Boulevard east of Warrensville Center Road.

I am such an East Sider I don't know much about the nurseries on West Side!!! LOL!

Oh, I went to this Lowe's Greenhouse in Chagrin Falls (not to be confused with the big box store) and was pretty disappointed.

Anyway, you may find this link pretty useful. It has a listing of what's good in our area:

http://www.gardenclub.net/nurseries.htm

Come back and show us the pics of your loot from Petitti! LOL

• jleek
    18 years ago

sure wish I lived out your way-girls! Loved the conversation of what you are doing and what is available. Thank you for sharing!

• tmac96
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jleek -- glad to have you here! :-)

Ostrich -- You asked for pics...and here they are!

In this first one, you will see part of our driveway, the sidewalk leading up to the front porch and or course the bed just below the porch. We plan on having hostas and hardy mums lining each side of the driveway, around the bed, and up the walkway. (We have more hostas, but I just placed these to give the idea.) Along the foundation I will plant tall astilbes. I have these three that bloom mid summer to fall. In between them I will plant other tall astilbes that bloom late spring to mid summer. Between the astilbes and hostas I will plant fringed bleeding heart and/or coral bells. All of these plants are from Petitti's.

{{gwi:1012314}}

In that same picture you can see 4 burning bushes in front of the garage. Those will go on the side of the house. In this next pic, you will see my beautiful PG tree. That will go either in my full day sun island bed in the middle of our front lawn OR by itself just in front of the front walkway. Still deciding. Next to the PG, you'll see a rhododendren and azalea for the shady section in the back of our house. You'll see more hostas and some short fountain grass also. All from Petitti's!

{{gwi:1012315}}

In this next picture, which is hard to see, you will see the corner of my house. We will plant tall grasses there with coreopsis at the base. Do you see those pavers along the side of the house? That's where the burning bush will go. Still thinking of what to plant at the base. Ideas?

{{gwi:1012316}}

Now to the back of the house. Here is what I would like to do in this one section. I have my two Limelight Hydrangea along the back. The one on the left I've had all summer. The one on the right I just bought the other day. Both are from Gales. In the mid ground, I have SummerWine Yarrow. I plan to put Asiatic and Oriental lilies with them. I have pics of some already which I'll show you. In the foreground is Silvermound Artemisia. I love the texture and cool color of the foliage. Lastly, I may include my Green Ice mini rose in this display. The minirose has a cool progression of colors: It starts off white with tiny pink specks. As it ages it turns more ivory. As it ages more, it turns lime green! It's almost the opposite color progression as my Limelight! What's even better about it is that it is a workhorse! Between moving to the new house, getting married, and being out of town for 2 weeks, this poor little plant has been totally neglected! Through the neglect, it has bloomed it's head off! Gotta love that! Here are the pics. All plants except for hydrangea and minirose are from Petitti's.

{{gwi:1003230}}

Limelight upclose. See the friend?

{{gwi:1003231}}

Here's a close up of the yarrow and artemisia. It's hard to see, but the yarrow has a deep purple/pink color. I think that will be a nice contrast to the Limelight blooms.

{{gwi:1012317}}

Here is a lily (Muscadet) that I already have that I am planning on putting with the yarrow. Notice the dark pink and lime green colors.

{{gwi:1012318}}

And here is a closeup of that Green Ice I was telling you about.

{{gwi:1012319}}

Well, that is what I have for now! Hope I didn't bombard you! OH WAIT, I have to tell you that I did end up going to Lowes in Willoughby. I have to end this reply with a picture of what started this whole thread...my beloved Forever and Ever...

{{gwi:1011734}}

This and my other new F&E will go in the bed on the right of the porch where they are sitting in pots now. Just love them! Thanks for helping me find that second one!

Thanks also for the link and the info on the other nurseries! I will have to check them out! BTW, when I went to Gales to pick up that 2nd Limelight, there were no sales yet. A little picked over already. :-( Oh well, I have plenty to get me started! :-)

• ostrich
    18 years ago

Oh my goodness, tmac, you have got some beautiful lovelies there! They are just totally gorgeous!!! I really love that limelight, Forever & Ever, and the Green Ice. The lily is gorgeous too! Oooh, and that PeeGee tree.... Your beds will be so beautiful.

I wouldn't worry about what to underplant around those burning bushes for now. I think that it's best to do it in stages, so that you can then really decide what you want and how they would look best.

By the way, what kind of sun exposure do you have in the front bed? I suspect that Bleeding Hearts may not tolerate that kind of an exposed and sunny area so well.

Congratulations again on your fantastic finds!

• mohicansong
    15 years ago

Ok ............ I have fallen prey to a lovely Forever and Ever Red. As I started out of the local nursery, it just hit me in the face, begging to go home with me. I was overcome! Can any of you give me an update as to how your F&E are doing, and if they actually will bloom the following year (unlike Endless Summer, which has performed very poorly for me).

• ostrich
    15 years ago

I would LOVE to see how tmac's F&E are doing!

Mine did so poorly last year (it did not agree with the soil there! Sigh) that I had to dig them up and then I potted one up and gave another one to a friend. It has since done very well in my friend's yard!!! The one that was potted up also was doing OK but it never bloomed last year. This year, I gave it away to another friend who was looking for a hydrangea. In fact, I will need to check with them to see how it has been doing with them!

• tmac96
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello! It has been awhile since I posted here, but I couldn't resist a request to see my F&Es. Why? Because they are my favorite hydrangea! You saw a pic of how they were when I bought them in 2005. Here is a pic of how they looked the following summer (2006)...
    {{gwi:1012320}}

The F&Es are the two in between the astilbes. I actually have a Pia in between the F&Es which performs fabulously!

Here's an F&E closeup. I have this pic framed in my guest bathroom.
    {{gwi:1012321}}

The spring of 2007 was really rough. The F&E's were branching out wonderfully, then in late April, we had a really bad ice storm. It zapped nearly everything on all plants. I don't have pics to share, but I can tell you that they DID bounce back and while it took them until late summer, they DID bloom on the new wood and did so just as beautifully.

Now it is spring of 2008 and they are coming up very strong! To protect them a little better, I mounded a lot of soil around the base last fall. Not sure if you're supposed to do that, but my F&Es loved it! Some of the low branches rooted in the soil making new plants! The bushes are WAY bigger now and very happy. All I have to get through is the rest of the spring and they should be huge and beautiful this summer. Will post pics!

• tmac96
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh hey...I just noticed. The astilbes in the pic I just posted -- same ones as pictured in the pots that I posted Aug 3, 05. My plants sure like that bed! :-)

• ostrich
    15 years ago

WOW! tmac, thanks for the pics! How your lovelies have grown!!! :-)

Now, what astilbes are those? They are very tall and gorgeous! The F&E is absolutely gorgeous too! That pic with the various colors is breathtaking! I take it you have eastern exposure there? I guess that's why they love it so much there? My ES and astibles also love the eastern exposure I have at the back of the house.

BTW, how is your PG tree doing? Do you have any pics of it too? Thanks!

• tmac96
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments! :-) I don't remember, but I think the astilbes are 'Rheinland'. Believe it or not, this bed is in a NW location. They really only get sun in the later afternoon/evening. I have to keep them watered pretty consistently.

My PG tree is doing well. It did nicely the past two years but to my amazement, I have no pics! Don't know why! It hasn't gotten too big though. I prune it pretty heavily to keep it to a certain size. It always rewards me with huge blooms though! I hope I didn't go to prune crazy this year though! I think it'll be fine. These hydrangeas always amaze me with their resiliance.

• tmac96
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WAIT! I did find a pic afterall. Here's my PG last summer, 2 years after purchasing it.

{{gwi:1012322}}

If you look in the background, I also have a pink diamond. It's at the very corner of the house. All hydrangeas doing well! I also wish I had pics to share of my limelights. They grow super full and strong! Love them as well!

• Ann_in_Houston
    15 years ago

This is the first year I have seen F&E, down here. Of course, this isn't really hydrangea territory. It's just too hot for most varieties. I saw the information on the F&E tag about soil ph and color, so for whoever asked whether they work that way, it looks like they do. I was skeptical, not knowing that this is an established line, because the labeling on some of the varieties was specific, with a name and everything, some were vague by comparison. I am suspicious of non-named hydrangeas because I feel that it may mean that they haven't been vetted for this area. I may try them.
    As for my ES, it was going great guns and now, it's turned all pale and the little buds have turned dry looking and I don't think they will open at all. I may have poisoned it, but it doesn't have the brown, crispy edges that the other plants that I sprayed are showing. I shielded my plants but the wind caused a lot of drift. I'm glad to have read of others' experiences, so I can judge whether it is I or the plant that is at fault.

• srrn
    15 years ago

So, I have really enjoyed this forum and esp the pics, but I have a question. Once the new growth has gotten established, are you suppossed to cut off the old brown sticks? I believe I have Fand E's, like you say, the new foliage is very healthy looking, but can't remember if they do bloom on old wood...

• ostrich
    15 years ago

tmac, you are something! You have the astilbes and F&E in the NW location and they are doing so well! Then look at the coral bells that you have in the full sun open location - they are looking so full and beautiful too! You must be so good at watering them! You go girl!!! :-)

Oh, and the PG tree is LOVELY too!

• iechris
    15 years ago

I bought 'Peppermint' at Lowes earlier this spring hoping it might be like 'Buttons N Bows' only with more will to live. I bought a plant that was budded but no blooms open yet and now as the blooms are opening, I am wondering if it was mislabelled, as they sure don't look at all like the photo (no white stripes). Anyone else have a 'Peppermint' that is just coming into bloom?

Here is one of the blooms:

• gardenscout
    15 years ago

I don't have the peppermint, but the ones I saw at Lowes were in full bloom, and they had the stripes like the pic on the tag. But I seem to remember the stripe being around the outer edge of the petal. Maybe that shows up later.

I wouldn't be too disappointed though, because yours are gorgeous.

• gardenscout
    15 years ago

I checked again on the Peppermint. Yeah, it is the margin that gets white giving a sort of striped look. I can kind of see the margin on yours turning white. I don't think that one was mislabled.

• teri55
    15 years ago

I planted three Forever and Ever's purchased at Lowes last year and they haven't come back - they are just sticks. I'm on my third year with twelve Endless Summers and they are doing great as are my Blushing Brides!

• icyveins
    15 years ago

My Forever and Ever was planted last year and looks great so far. It was just a little guy when I planted it, but it has already surpassed last year's size. Thus far I have no buds but I'm a patient gal when it comes to my plants. If it blooms like it did last year then it will definitely be worth the wait. I also planted a somewhat awkward and gangly looking Blushing Bride that I found clearanced last year, and it ended up stealing the show in my garden by the end of the season. It's looking fantastic as well so far... can't wait for blooms. Hope they don't have a sluggish second year like Endless Summer seems to!

• ostrich
    15 years ago

icyveins, do you have photos of your F&E and Blushing Bride from last year to share with us please? I would LOVE to see them please! Thanks.

• iechris
    15 years ago

More flowers are opening on my 'Peppermint' and I do have one flower that is opening up that actually looks like the photo. One other bloom remains solid pink (back of the photo). Then, I have another bloom that almost seems like it is a partial lacecap or something. Smaller solid pink flowers opened first, now I am getting larger flowers that do appear to be striped.

• icyveins
    15 years ago

Sorry Ostrich, I don't have a photo from last year. My digital camera went kaput at the beginning of the summer before I planted it. I've since gotten a new one so I can inundate everyone with pictures this year. Unfortunately, the only thing you'd see right now is a beautiful and healthy bush.

I searched images and most of the pictures I found show a solid pastel pink or white flower... mine was more a mix of colors, a bit of lavender, pink, lime green, and snow white. Then again, I didn't attempt to go a specific way with color, just added compost and let it go.

This link is a pretty good represenatation of what mine looked like:
    http://www.bemisfarmsnursery.com/blushing%20bride.jpg

• ostrich
    15 years ago

Thanks, icyveins! That is so very pretty, with the mixture of the blush and the light green colors!

iechris, I have not seen the Peppermint before - what a beauty! I do visit Lowe's frequently but I have never seen one around here. Maybe it's a regional thing?

I saw a Shamrock at Lowe's some time ago. Does anyone have any experience with it, esp in the colder zones?

• stillwelljill
    15 years ago

Anyone know if the Forever and Ever Peppermint or F&E Red will stay PINK and not turn into blues. Will it need to have the soil treated to stay pink???? Thanks

• iechris
    15 years ago

My 'Peppermint' now has some striped flowers:

Here is 'Together'

And 'Double Pink' (blue next year I'm sure as it is in the ground) has started to open up.

The flowers are all really pretty, so I hope they do bloom on new wood as they are claiming. I'm still planning on bring the two potted ones (Peppermint and Together) under cover for the winter.

• grannyof
    15 years ago

Can anyone help me locate a seller near Santa Cruz, Watsonville or San Jose?
    I've checked lots of places but they've never heard of Forever and Ever.
    Tried a Lowe's about 100 miles from here but they don't have it either.
    My Endless Summer is a few yrs. old and it does very well. It does wilt and burn in the heat (90's) but comes back with spraying, watering and in a few days our weather is back to normal 70's and 80's.

• fremar6_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

HELP!!! I bought one of these this year it has not bloomed I have it in maybe too much shade? Yes I fertilized it..think it will bloom next year? How much sun does this forever and ever need? It looks healthy but that's about all I can say it's GREEN..with no blooms or sign of a bud.
    thanks for any help

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

It may have bloomed before you bought it so do not worry during its first year of getting established. If you live in the south, keep it in morning sun. If you live further north then you might be able to choose a spot with more run. I keep mine shade starting at around 11am.

I also mulch heavily, about 3-4" past the drip line. I do not fertilize on the first year though. On year 2 and others, I fertilize 1/2 cup or 1cup of manure or cottonseed meal in May and July (just once in June if you live in the northern states). Coffee grounds are ok during the growth season but stop all fertilizing in August-September so the plant can go dormant.

• ditas
    15 years ago

Hi Fremar - I just today responded to a ? asked by someone from z7b to compare F&E to ES etc.

I got 2 F&E in '06 - to add to observations (1st year does not count, since we now, all know the doses of hormones, to force blooms, for sale purposes) 2nd yr only produced 2 blossoms (ES as well) ... I was a bit disappointed (but was educated on a season needed for root development, in the new home, in the ground along w/ some sun as factors. The 3rd was a charm, a banner year indeed - worth the wait!!! ;) I did have to move one F&E to a partial/sun last Fall, to get those 8"x10" blossoms this June!

Patience & TLC as Luis suggested - you'll perhaps not have to wait as long as I did (I'll use cottonseed meal in Spring '09). Best of luck!

• lisa_houghton_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

when I got my forever and ever hydrangea I didn't water it enough and the flowers all died. It has since made lots of new leaves but no new blooms. This is my first hydrangea. Any suggestions? Thanks.