Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gt182

Chemical burn or fungus?

gt182
13 years ago

I had 7 beautiful lush Annabelles with huge blooms. Scotts came and sprayed and all the leaves turned brown and fell off. I cut off all the flowers and dead or dying leaves (remived 1/3 of the growth)and they are starting to recover with new growth. My question is, did the insecticide/fungicide they sprayed with burn these plants or was it some disease. In either case their treatment did not work... This happened to me before when I sprayed my Annabell'es with deer off a couple years agao. Same thing, the leaves dried up and fell off and they fully recovered with new growth. Why did this happen and what can I do to speed along this recovery?

Comments (7)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

Water issues this time of the year could cause browning of leaves so you may have to monitor soil moisture to rule that out. Next time they come to spray, I would request to see the warning label(s) to determine what harm can be done to plants by the insecticide or fungicide. You might be able to do the research on the Internet if you know the name of the product. Since we are near Fall soon, I would take no action to speed recovery other than maintain the soil moist and remove any dead leaves.

Why were they spraying?

• gt182
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They were doing the first trial treatment for insect/disease control. They do my lawn and offered me a promo. I have an irrigation system which hits the beds daily so I was almost wondering if they were getting too much water. This is just like that deer off problem I had which is why I suspected it was the spray treatment. Possibly spraying chemicals to be scorched by the sun in 90+ heat is not a good idea....

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

You can determine if they are getting too much water by inserting a finger into the soil to a depth of 4". If the soil feels dry or almost dry, you need to water them. If the soil feels moist, do nothing. If it is wet, determine why it is wet (it should not be unless it rained or the sprinker went off recently) and take appropriate action.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

Even if your hydrangeas were not being affected, are you sure you really need insect/disease control? Is there a specific problem you are trying to "control"? Or is it just a general preventative "in case" something happens?

I'd be inclined to tell them I didn't want their control service.

Good luck on your hydrangeas.

Kate

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Kate is dead right - unless you have specific issues with a specific disease or pest, there is little need to spray anything for any reason. And spraying a "trial" (??) pesticide in the middle of the growing season and in broad daylight with the sun shining is just asking for trouble. A great many plants will react to such a practice with phytotoxicity, causing the leaves to brown, dry and the plant to defoliate. Fortunately, Annabelles are tough plants and can handle the damage - just cut back any damaged portions and water them thoroughly to flush away the toxins.

The only reason to spray anything at any time is because you have identified a specific problem and the product used is targeted/registered for that specific issue. There are no such things as 'blanket' disease and insect controls that are used routinely on a preventative basis. The company is conning you into agreeing to and paying for services you do not need, promo or no promo. The willy-nilly spraying of any pesticide without good reason is endangering you, your family, your pets, your neighborhood, your plants and the environment unnecessarily. Just say "NO" :-))

• dsagaas_comcast_net
    12 years ago

The fact is that all chemicals used cannot be called safe. This includes the ones under your sink! But you still use them right? Phytotoxicity only happens in a very small part of instances, and the conditions have to be exactly right in order for it to occur. According to the University of Georgia's cooperative extension services and my experience of 36 years of landscaping, there is a 1% chance of it occuring even if the chemical ratio is too much and the heat and humidity are high.
    The reason for a tree and shrub program is to keep damaging fungi and insect populations in check. IPM, or Integrated Pest Management, and good chemical stuardship is the best solution. Don't buy into the "All CHEMICALS ARE BAD" theory, or you may lose a lot of expensive plant material.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

All chemicals are not bad and no one said they were but spraying for no reason, no identified pest IS bad.

Most insecticides only kill on contact so spraying when you do not have a problem is worthless and can be harmful...