Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
channy_gw

Tips for planting Annabelle Hydrangeas

Channy
9 years ago

I just spent a small fortune on 4 large Annabelle Hydrangeas. There will be replacing, overgrown shrubs that we took out over the weekend. I really want to give these plants a good chance sine I am getting them into the ground late. Does anyone have some tips for me?

Soils in my area are a clay loam but in my beds seems to be more sandy and dry as they have not been maintained by previous owner and were overgrown. I think the soil is very much lacking in nutrients it is quite light colored and dusty. I am in Zone 3. I will attach some pictures.

All will be going up against the house with one in morning sun and three or more if I purchase more in afternoon sun.

What can I add to the soil to enrich it? I am getting three loads of topsoil on Saturday for the grass so should I use it?

Two will be going on either side of this window that faces west.

Comments (5)

• Channy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One will be going here where the cut up shrub is (it's now removed)

• dirt_cred
    9 years ago

Compost and manure from veg eating animals is always my fall back position.

BUT maybe test the soil rather than assuming from the color and texture. I'm in Minnesota used to be zone 3) where we have nice black, loamy soil which I always thought was bare minimum for growing anything. Then I moved to NJ where they grow amazing stuff in light colored clay-ey sandy soil.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I have better results on all shrubs if I loosen the soil over a wide area rather than just the planting hole. Loosen it and break up chunks in the whole area if you can. Don't step on it to recompact it afterwards. I think the roots can get out into the soil more easily if it is loose and fluffy. Another thing is that roots need a bit of oxygen, not just water and minerals. If the soil is loose, there are tiny air pockets in it that the roots can access. (They do not want large air pockets, as that will dry out the roots.) I do not add any amendment. I mulch over the top of the soil and let earthworms drag it down into the soil. Mulch retains moisture and keeps the soil cool, which the hydrangea will like. Keep mulch away from the base of the plant--leave a few inches of space.

One thing: only go as deep as the root ball of the plants are tall--if they are 14" tall, only go 14" deep with your shovel. You don't want your root ball to sink down too deep.

• Channy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow great advice thanks! I'm so excited I can't wait to put them in the ground. My grandmother grew them and they were my wedding flower but I have never had my own. :) well I did have a Pee Gee but never the Annabelle.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

I am new to gardening so I don't have any expert advice. But I love Annabelle Hydrangeas. Just planted 5 out in front of my home and will be planting more. If you want more, you should think about taking a few cuttings from each plant and propogate. I took 2 cuttings from the back of each plant last month, and was able to get about 3 from each stem that I stuck in a pot to root. Also grabbed a few cuttings from a foreclosed home. Think I have about 30 growing, all but a few have roots now. Im babying them until the end of August and then going to plant them. Annabelles are so hard to find here in Virginia where I live and when I did find them they were $30 per plant. That was $30 for scraggly looking Annabelles.

One of the things a friend told me was do not panick when they wilt a lot this year. With the few that will be in the afternoon sun, they probably wont look very good by the end of the day. She told me to always poke a finger in the soil before I panick and water. If the soil was dry, then water. If it wasn't then wait to see if they bounce back by morning. Apparently next year they shouldnt have that problem once established.

Here is a photo of a few on the end. As you can see they dont look very good, but hopefully my friend is right and they shine next year. I did a 3" layer of mulch and also fertilized them. Not sure what their sun exposure would be considered, again new to gardening. They get dappled morning, then from 10:30-1ish have full sun. So maybe afternoon sun? I need to figure out what to plant with them now. Thinking hostas for a clean, easy look. What are you going to plant with them?

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz