Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theshawmom

Hydrangea Variety for East Facing Foundation

TheShawMom
11 years ago

We finally got the last of our gutters installed, so I am ready to landscape the east side of the garage/house starting this fall. I am leaning toward a white flowering hydrangea, but am still confused as to what variety would work best. The site faces east and gets filtered/dappled sunlight from sunrise to 11am; full sun from 11am to 1:30 pm and then shade (but not dark shade) for the rest of the day.(end of June) The soil is prime Illinois farmland black dirt and drains well. I have not checked PH. The length of the beds are 27 feet from the wiegela on the left to the A/C unit and then another 15 feet from the A/C on the right to the deck. This bed faces the road (country, gravel) and I need large flowering shrubs to be seen and be in proportion to the area to be covered. I would consider other shrubs - never tried a rhodie before.

Anny suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

Just about any paniculata will be hardy to your zone and fit in the area described: limelight, grandiflora, Pink Diamond, Quick Fire, Tardiva, etc.

The list of macrophyllas will be more limited but you can select from amongst the rebloomers; check the Forever and Ever Series, Blushing Bride, Penny Mac, David Remsey, Dooley, etc.

The paniculatas tend to start blooming around June with Tardova starting latest in the group. The macs will bloom about a month or so earlier.

Annabelle and its various clones (Invincibelle, Bella Anna, etc) will also be hardy to your zone.

• TheShawMom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks luis pr, I do have a Limelight and a Pinky Winky both in full sun and they are doing great. I was looking at Blushing Bride or Annabelle but didn't know exactly how much sun/shade they needed. As the years pass, I think my amount of full sun will decrease with the increase in the tree sizes to the east. Are BB and Annabelle about the same size? Does Annabelle require help so it doesn't flop? I was looking at the whites because I didn't think pink would look good in front of a brick wall - but I'm open. Do hydrangeas look better massed in a border by themselves or do they need other shrubs to separate them?

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

By the looks of the grass you are getting a lot less drought than some other people out there, so that is a good sign...

Try looking up some plantings along similar colored walls and see what tickles your fancy. There are many issues to address, like how deep of a bed or whether to mix in small trees, annuals, perennials, etc.

I've seen some office buildings with Annabelle hedges going 100 feet along walls. Simply amazing! You'll get earlier results with Annabelle and the blooms last a pretty long time. They tend to grow, expand and develop a lot quicker than macrophyllas. Thus flop wouldn't be extremely noticeable after a handful of growing seasons.

• TheShawMom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Springwood Gardens - we have been lucky in regards to rain. We farm about 1,000 acres of corn and soybeans so we've been celebrating every drop we get. I really like the white in front of this brick wall. Further north around the deck I have quite a bit of color (shrubs, roses and perennials) but the deck is faced with whitish stone. I'm leaning towards the Annabelle with some perennials in front. The bed with the weigelas is about 6' deep, but I have room to go deeper if I need to. For winter interest, I would like to work in evergreens of some type - would rhododendrons work here with the hydrangeas?