Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivian_2010

Anybody has experienve with Let's Dance Moonlight?

I read in a few places that this new variety is more reliable and has more vivid color than ES. Wonder if any body has experience with it? How does it compare to ES and FE series?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Hi Vivian, Last year I bought a Let's Dance Moonlight and it was a gorgeous pink (see pictures)......this year is is doing beautifully but the color has changed to a lavender pink! We have neutral soil, but we added lime last year to keep it pink, but not to be! Either way, she's a beauty, it's difficult to say whether one could say it's better or more vivid that Endless Summer, I would recommend that you try both!

Moonlight last year, and by the way, it said (Myra) on the tag also, anyone know what that's all about?

From HYDRANGEAS
    From HYDRANGEAS

and here she is with her fall colors also:

From HYDRANGEAS

and this year, you actually wouldn't know she was the same plant:

From HYDRANGEAS
    From HYDRANGEAS

She is quite different from Endless Summer, so if it's blue you want, maybe you should stick with ES. Moonlight has lots of flowers, and I do relieve it is a remontant type.

Hope I've been of some help,

Donna

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Donna,

Love the pictures and flowers. The Pink and lavenda are beautiful. Thanks for sharing these beauties. I already have a few ES orginal, the pink and blue color is much less intense.

Do you know if they can tolerate some afternoon sun? The spot I am thinking has mostly shade in the morning, but sun from 2-6 pm. I read that Let's dance can tolerate full sun and not sure if this is true. It also claims that it is more compact.

Thanks for your comments,
    Vivian

13 years ago

Hi Vivian,

Our Moonlight gets quite a bit of full sun in the afternoon, I would say that she tolerates it quite well, she faints when she gets too hot, but a little drink (water) perks her right up! As far as the size, I really couldn't say, I don't think she will be a giant though. This is only our second year with her but she came through the winter very well and I loved her fall colors, I must have picked some, but I honestly can't remember. I think she'd be alright with sun from 2-6. We mulched her roots well, she seems to appreciate that!

Donna

13 years ago

Vivian! I just noticed that you're in Zone 5a, ouch!! We're in 6b, big difference!! I would think you might have to do some winter protection, which we don't have to do here.

Donna

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna, I agree with the winter protection part, which I did not need to do for ES here in Chicago area. But I will try with one Let's Dance this year and see what happens.

Many thanks for your help,
    Vivian

• miclino
    13 years ago

How tall does this get for you? Atleast 3 feet?

13 years ago

Our Moonlight has reached just under 3 feet and as wide, but she has only been in the ground since last summer and was a moderate sized plant when we bought her. This has been a very stressful year for hydrangeas due to the horrible heat and lack of rain in our area. When I water, which is nearly every day, she appreciates it but when we have a natural rain, she seems to stand up much taller! I'm sure in a few years, this plant will go beyond 3 feet. We had a little over 1/2 inch of rain last night, I'm rejoicing, a weekend without watering!!

Donna

• newhome2021
    7 years ago

I love Let's Dance Moonlight Hydrangeas. I bought 4 of them 2 years ago. I grow 2 on the West Side and 2 on the East Side... I covered them with burlap at high noon in July and August on the West side and uncover them after 5 so the leave don't get burned. They are stunning 3 feet tall beauties with plenty of blooms on them. Dig a hole double the width of your plant, fill with organic soil or Miracle grow soil mixed with peat moss and dehydrated cow manure (0.5 formula) when you plant them. They love this combination and you will have very healthy plants for years to come. I also grow let's dance divas which are equally beautifully but Divas have large plates of flowers. Moonlights are rounded balls full of flowers. H

Here are my moonlights and divas - both hydrangeas are 3 feet tall.