Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taras49

What's wrong with my Hydranger?

taras49
11 years ago

The flowers look like they are dying. What can I do?

Comments (9)

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

This is just what happens; the blooms are spent. Most hydrangeas' blooms last not much longer than 2 months (if that) before drying and shriveling. If you are in zone 10, it bloomed earlier than it might've elsewhere.

Remove those brown blooms, cutting their stems down to the next healthy set of buds (the small bulging nodes where the leaves connect to the main stems). If it is a rebloomer, you will get a second flush of flowers before Fall. Otherwise it will have no problem growing larger and putting out even more blooms next season in zone 10.

Which variety is that you have, by the way?

• taras49
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the info. I have no idea what variety. How can I find out what variety I have? I'm in NYC, what zone is that?

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

Probably zone 7.

Obviously whatever you have heavily favors pink/mauve. Could be Merritt's Supreme, Firelight, something of that nature.

• taras49
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I looked at some pictures on Google and I thought that it might be a Mophead? I did the pruning this morning and now will hope for a re-bloom. Do any of the varities that you think it might be re-bloom?

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

No, those two generally bloom on old wood. If yours reblooms, it may wait until the heat of the summer has abated so do not expect quick reblooms (sometimes iut takes > 2-4 weeks). And yes, it looks like a mophead-type of hydrangea.

• LindaMA
    11 years ago

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that NYC is zone 6, I know Boston is zone 6 and I believe that New York City is also. If I'm wrong, somebody else will jump in and let us know.

Good luck with that hydrangea, it's very pretty!

Linda

• macgyver2009
    11 years ago

Just a guess, but your hydrangea looks a lot like one I have... Tovelit. Mine is a mophead that also has many smaller bright pink blooms with white eyes. There are a lot of possibilities. I just mention Tovelit as one.

• taras49
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions as to what variety my hydrangea may be. But I have another question; is there any difference in the care of the hydrangea based on the variety?

• jas4141
    11 years ago

Our hot summer is causing my hydrangea blooms to last a much shorter time than usual. What usually lasts a couple of months, now starts turning brown on the edges in a few weeks. My All Summer Beauty is the only exception but it gets the least direct sun of all and probably the most frequent watering.