Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Save and Endless Summer?

Posted by rootbeerlove 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 15:42

I'd always wanted hydrangeas, but hadn't wanted to put the work in until we bought a house. We did in October, and this June my husband bought me a beautiful, large, endless summer.
I planted it in the sun, as that was what the tag recommended. When it started to look sad, I called the nursery, and they said to move it into deep shade. That didn't seem quite right to me, so I moved it to a place where it gets about 2.5 hours of sun each day, in the afternoon. I can't find a place on my property that gets morning sun only, lots of trees.
When I transplanted I used a root stimulator. The plant has never gotten better, only slowly worse. We are in a drought here, and have been watering daily. At no point have the leaves looked yellow, just green and wilted and falling off. Is there anything I can do to save this plant? Right now most of the leaves are gone, but it does seem to still be growing new ones. I even have a tiny wilty flower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Save and Endless Summer?

Afternoon sun would wilt the leaves in my experience, especially with the high temperatures and lack of rain in most places this year. And being transplanted twice this year adds extra stress. Is there any way that you could put something up temporarily to screen the shrub from the sun until it has a chance to establish itself?

I have an Endless Summer that gets less than 2 hours of late morning sun, and maybe a slight touch of super filtered evening sun and it does great there, despite the tag saying to plant it in sun. Prior to this, I'd planted 2 Forever & Ever that also said plant in sun. One gets about 2 hours of late morning sun, the other gets only filtered evening sun and nothing more. The one that gets only the evening sun does far better and is much less maintenance than the one that gets 2 hours of morning sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here