Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

Color of Forever and Ever versus Endless Summer

Does anyone grow both Endless Summer and Forever and Ever? Are their colors identical, or does Forever and Ever have a slightly more intense color? I currently have an Endless Summer and am considering putting a Forever and Ever next to it. I am wondering, however, if they will just look like two of the same plant.

Also, my Endless Summer is "Nikko Blue" colored, so my soil must be pretty acid. I don't want to change the acidity because the rhododendrons seem pretty happy.

Lois in PA

Comments (5)

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi Lois - I have 2 of each - You are fortunate to have a naturally acidic soil & don't have to fool around with 'Starbucks' grounds/drinks & Alum.Sulf. doses! In my more alkalinic soil F&E might be slightly deeper pink than ES if I left them alone. In '08 I experimented a bit & succeeded to make 1 of my ES to produce a shrubful of pastel blossoms (blue, lavender, pink & even bi-coloured pastels - all in 1 plant) This season, no such luck, a mere 8 0r 9 total blossoms between both ES - all pink, due to harsh Winter.

F&E, as well gave 5 blossoms on 1 plant this '09, due to harsh Winter & came up a dwarf size(suits me just fine - just like 'Pia'), at 10" tall 15"wide, however, responded to coffee/A.S. drinks - 1 cluster is the sweetest periwinkle blue, 2 of her 7" clusters, were the usual pink, 1 a baby-powder-pink & 5th is still a baby cluster (lavender, I hope)! The other F&E, just grew taller, 0 blooms!

In '08 I rated F&E a better plant over all, than ES ... sturdier canes & able to handle blossoms, more up-right. F&E may perhaps, tend to produce less blossoms but less, fragile looking & shaped more like an upside-down soup-bowl, than ES's ball shape. I tend to favor F&E over ES for these qualities.

FWIW - Sorry for giving more info than you asked for. Â:(
    D

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, it's all good information, and thank you for answering.... Different colored flower clusters on the same plant sounds so cool; makes me wish I didn't have the rhodies to think about.

So, if the Forever and Ever is a deeper pink for you, then it would probably be purplish or lavender for me, and at least a little different in color/shade from the Endless Summer.

Thanks again!

Lois in PA

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi again Lois - Here is a link of my '08 ES with multi pastel blossoms ... you be the judge ... click to enlarge pic.

I'll post F&E later ... have to prep the album for sharing yet.

I'm glad my comments helped! Â;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Endless Summer blossoms

• madeyna
    14 years ago

My F&E have a much larger flower and much darker flower than any of my endless summers. All the endless summers I have seen tend to be more on the pastel side of the color range.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi again Lois - I'm so mesmerized by dwarfette, F&E (Pia's size still) - the colors I described earlier, are changing ever so gradually, each day w/ sips of coffee!!! Â;) F&E#1 proceeds w/ her growth but 0 blooms! :-( ... In '08 2 of her blossoms measured 10"x9.5" the rest avg 7"- huge for a 2' plant!

The ESs have not added any more blossoms, to the original 8 bet them nor have they improved w/ application of A.S. - they are shooting up tho!

I'm documenting w/ photos ... will share later.