Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettylu_zone6a

What is your opinion on moving one of my climbing hydrangeas?

bettylu_zone6a
11 years ago

About 9 years ago I planted a pair of climbing hydrangeas on either side of a small arbor. At the time, the Norway Spruces were less than 5' tall and I thought I left plenty of space for them to grow (although then I did not know what kind of conifer they were).

Now that the spruce have gotten HUGE, the arbor and the hydrangea's are really getting overrun and I was considering if I could take out the spruce to the left of the arbor and move the arbor into the space vacated by the spruce. This would require moving one of the hydrangeas to its new location too.

How do-able is this idea? I have not had a lot of blooms - I think because of the amount of shade, so this would also be an opportunity give them more sun as well as amend the soil a bit. I know there will be a TON of spruce roots in the area, so I have no idea if I will even be able to get any kind of root ball up with the hydrangea or not. Obviously, I could purchase a replacement, but it took SO LONG for them to get where they are now - I hate to start over with a 2' tall plant!

Your thoughts?

BettyLu

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH