Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
godslittierose

How to encourage hydrangea to rebloom

Godslittierose
11 years ago

Good afternoon all. I was hoping that someone could help me. It has been a very hot spring/summer for us down here in NC which has caused my hydrangeas to bloom early and quick. Most of the blooms have already completely turned. I have read somewhere that cutting off the dead blooms might encourage some regrowth. I was certainly hoping that this would be the case since it is so early in the season and typically they bloom into early September. I guess my concern is that if I start cutting blooms now then it might not rebloom and I might ruin any blooms for next year. Any suggestions? My wedding is in September and I was hoping to at least have a few blooms to be able to pluck to help my budget:0) Thanks all, and suggestions are appreciated!

Comments (2)

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

If they are rebloomers, cutting off the old should encourage new ones. Most rebloomers will have a great deal of trouble doing so if you don't cut the spent ones off. Earlier is better than later, and doing so now should get you a new set by the wedding.

Worst case, it won't rebloom and the buds will simply set for next year (on all live stems).

Once again, this depends on genetics and growing conditions.

• Godslittierose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I don't think they are the kind that are meant to bloom over and over, but since it won't mess up blooms for next year Ill give it a try. Thanks so much!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional