Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking about giving my non blooming FE a big dose of Phosphorus

Posted by hydrangeasnohio z5b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 16:12

I am thinking of giving my problem children Forever and Ever Hydrangeas a high dose of phosphorus. Like 5-30-5 or whatever I can get my hands on. Wondering if FE gave them a bunch of fertilizer to grow and they are lacking phosphorus? At this point I feel I have nothing to lose. They are the Double Pink and Red Hydrangea they offer in their series. They have both pretty much grown to full size and will not bud. I do not like to fertilize. Only thing I do is fertilize my bulbs with 10-10-10 in the spring. So I am pretty unfamiliar with fertilizer. I have a bag of lime because of my dog. Will it act like a high phosphorus dose instead of buying fertilizer??? Thank you for anyone that can help?? I thought these hydrangeas are supposed to bloom on new growth...LOL...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking about giving my non blooming FE a big dose of Phosph

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 11, 10 at 0:19

How newly planted are they? Are they settling in, forming roots and top growth instead of flowering? Excess fertilizer could lead to foliage at the expense of flowering...

The lime would be counterproductive in any case:
"Lime Can Help Control Excess NutrientsAnimal wastes contain phosphorus and nitrogen, and these nutrients can be returned to the soil as fertilizer. However, the quantities of animal wastes produced means that there is an excess of these nutrients for the soil and crops to absorb, and runoff causes damaging eutrophication of surface waters. Lime will volatilize the nitrogen and can precipitate the phosphorus to an insoluble form"

o

They were planted in early fall/late summer of 2008. Even in the heat waves they never really droop like other newly planted ones from last year. So they seem to be pretty well settled in. I am not sure what to do to get them to bloom???

o

You might try one of foxfarm's fertilizers. I think they're designed for pot growers, but they have some ridiculously high phosphorus numbers. I know the Chinese use sesame as a bloom enhancer, to great effect. I've been thinking of trying it with some different things.

o

Do you know if the Foxfarm is sold at any of the big box stores?? Thanks!

o

Doubt it, greatly. There's a retailer finder on their website:

Make sure you report what happens. I'd be very interested to see your results.

Here is a link that might be useful: retailer finder

o

Maybe time for a soil test? Could be you have enough phosphorous in your soil already and something else is causing it to be unavailable to your hydrangea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foxfarm fertilizers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here