Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
october_gardens

Anyone out there have mac. DOUBLICIOUS??

October_Gardens
11 years ago

Just saw this one pop back up at a local nursery this summer.

It was introduced in 2008 by VIVA plants and briefly sold at some Home Depot's but hasn't really experienced wide sales and there haven't been many reviews of it.

Has anyone out there managed to grow these over a winter or two? How has it performed and how big have they gotten? It's supposed to be a new-wood/repeat bloomer and there are conflicting reports about mature size (3-5').

To me it looks like a giant version of F&E's Together, so it would be great if someone wanted a larger version of such. The blooms have fewer florets, but of course are much larger and doubled and behave the similarly color-wise. The stems and foliage also behave the same way and have the same color, but Doublicious much larger stems and leaves.

So if anyone has experience with this, please let us know!

Comments (8)

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    11 years ago

came back from last year but did not bloom-will see what it does next week....

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    11 years ago

sorry see what it does next year.....

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How large is it now, and how big was it when you bought it?

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    11 years ago

3gal but got dry last year when on vaation-came back this spring but no blooms this year back to its size

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update:

As of right now, there are already florets on stems coming from anywhere (crown and old wood)...

Can't wait to compare this and F&E Together in dead heat to see how similar to one another they really are...

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Springwood, thanks for the update. I'm watching this thread to see what you say next!

Carol

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update: very pleased with the plant. It's grown strongly and produced nice flowers with no signs of illness or fatigue. It died back to just about ground level and bounced right back with both growth and buds, a tricky combo!

Photo:

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

I got one last year too, very large and while not covered with blooms, the blooms were somewhat impressive.

This year it is half the size and no blooms. It may be too shady where I planted it though. I limbed up some of the small trees around it a couple of weeks ago and one stem has shown signs of new growth since then.

Here is a picture of it last year.