Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone out there have mac. DOUBLICIOUS??

Posted by Springwood_Gardens 6B Pittsburgh (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 16:29

Just saw this one pop back up at a local nursery this summer.

It was introduced in 2008 by VIVA plants and briefly sold at some Home Depot's but hasn't really experienced wide sales and there haven't been many reviews of it.

Has anyone out there managed to grow these over a winter or two? How has it performed and how big have they gotten? It's supposed to be a new-wood/repeat bloomer and there are conflicting reports about mature size (3-5').

To me it looks like a giant version of F&E's Together, so it would be great if someone wanted a larger version of such. The blooms have fewer florets, but of course are much larger and doubled and behave the similarly color-wise. The stems and foliage also behave the same way and have the same color, but Doublicious much larger stems and leaves.

So if anyone has experience with this, please let us know!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone out there have mac. DOUBLICIOUS??

came back from last year but did not bloom-will see what it does next week....

o

sorry see what it does next year.....

o

How large is it now, and how big was it when you bought it?

o

3gal but got dry last year when on vaation-came back this spring but no blooms this year back to its size

o

Update:

As of right now, there are already florets on stems coming from anywhere (crown and old wood)...

Can't wait to compare this and F&E Together in dead heat to see how similar to one another they really are...

o

Springwood, thanks for the update. I'm watching this thread to see what you say next!

Carol

o

Update: very pleased with the plant. It's grown strongly and produced nice flowers with no signs of illness or fatigue. It died back to just about ground level and bounced right back with both growth and buds, a tricky combo!

Photo:

o

I got one last year too, very large and while not covered with blooms, the blooms were somewhat impressive.

This year it is half the size and no blooms. It may be too shady where I planted it though. I limbed up some of the small trees around it a couple of weeks ago and one stem has shown signs of new growth since then.

Here is a picture of it last year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here