Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eholceker

Hydrangea Poor Blooms

eholceker
9 years ago

So I just bought my new house last year and I have 3 hydrangeas which were covered in huge blooms. We had a horrible winter and a late spring freeze and 2 of the three bushes started from the ground up as the old wood was dead. The 3rd bush produced blooms but only patchy flowers. I think it may be a lace cap hydrangea but it does not look anywhere how it did last year. I wonder if it has to do with he bad winter. Anything I can do here?

Comments (10)

• eholceker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Additional picture

• eholceker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a 4th bush that made it through the winter but looks like he other one.

• eholceker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And a close up

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

Hopefully we will have a milder winter this year and your hydrangeas will be big in bloom next year.

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

Definitely. My lacecap had about 1/3 less than the other mopheads which had zero. Of course, by now, the lacecap blooms have faded and gone bye bye too. Your plants look awfully healthy. They must have produced quite a show before!

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Those all look like H. serrata 'Grayswood' or a close relative.

I'd rate the performance "average" on those. They've completely matured (5x5') and will easily bloom better after milder winters. Grayswood blooms on old wood only, so if there is severe dieback there will be few blooms.

Most blooms in the pics have already aged and are now colorless. You can probably cut those off before they decide to do something like get moldy and rot down parts of the stems.

• krjoe
    9 years ago

My endless summer bella Anna arborescens droop and the blooms are mostly have a dull white color instead of pink have fertilized w/ acid loving fertilizer.Used Iron to Cure yellow leaf in young growth. Do i need liquid lime?

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Bella Anna is a dud / inferior plant and has been dropped from the ES line. Mine has looked droopy and ill its whole life as compared to neighboring Annabelles.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    9 years ago

Bella Anna is a dud-3 huge Annabells and a dud one tenth their size is Bella-she is gone come Spring-ugly too!!!

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

If the blooms are whiteish or grayish, it may be that th blooms have faded and can be deadheaded or left on the plant thru winter.

Do not use lime to cure chlorotic leaves, krjoe. Liquid iron, liquid chelated compounds, aluminum sulfate, ammonium sulfate, iron sulfate, greensand or garden Sulphur will all work. The liquids work faster but have to be reapplied more often so if the leaves are quite yellowish, I use a liquid for speed and one of the others a few weeks afterwards.

I saw both Bella Anna or Invincibelle Spirit on their 2nd year at a local nursery and was not impressed. I did not really like the pink per se of both so I decided to pass.