Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starlight99_z5

Strawberry sundae blooms as of today!

starlight99
9 years ago

I finally found and bought my first Strawberry Sundae! How are yours doing? I would love to see your photos.

Comments (26)

• Brooks23
    9 years ago

Very pretty. Keep posting pictures as it turns colors. I am interested in that hydrangea

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Yes, the photo is very nice and I'm also considering adding this hydrangea.

• Kachana
    9 years ago

Wow, very pretty. I'm jealous. I can't seem to find one locally here :(

• starlight99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a photo of the SS blooms....tinted pink....it looks less pink than my VS....perhaps because it is newly planted?

• Brooks23
    9 years ago

Very pretty. It may turn more pink.
    I am considering Sweet Summer that I saw at Menards. Anyone have that hydrangea?

• madeyna
    9 years ago

thanks for posting the pics,they are beatiful. I noticed the flower clusters are,t as dense as the the ones I have seen in the nursery. Do they loosen up as they age?

• starlight99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are the old blooms and they are faded and dying so they are not as dense. Eversince being planted in the ground the blooms have started to grow longer so the blooms looks like there is another new bloom grown on top of the faded old bloom. I think the plant was neglected at the nursery and the blooms did not get a chance to grow big and dense as they should. When I brought it home most of the leaves were brown around the edges and since then they have recovered and new leaves are growing out where the brown leaves have fallen off. This was the only nursery that has the only one Strwbery Sundae so I had no choice but to pick it up. Now it even has a few new blooms. I will post new pictures as the new green blooms grow a little bigger.

• Brooks23
    9 years ago

Can't wait to see the pictures

• starlight99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a photo taken this morning with a new cluster of flowers growing on top of an old one.

• Brooks23
    9 years ago

Very nice. I may have to put that on my list. I think Wayside has it to order but it would be a small plant.

• jlynch03
    7 years ago

Starlight, how is your Strawberry Sundae doing now? I just picked one up from Lowes for $6 and am curious as to your progress!

• luis_pr
    7 years ago

$6? Holy cow. My Lowes would not be caught dead doing that. They prefer to transfer more money from my bank account to theirs! :o)

• hyed
    7 years ago

Hi Starlight, live in the Boston area my VS hy is about 6yrs old at the start I found it to very floppy for the first few

yrs. always on the ground so I decided to try a tree form .. It's now about 9ft.

• Dedez7b
    7 years ago

Is there a tree form you can buy or did you prune it into a tree

• hyed
    7 years ago

Hi Dedez, you can buy it in tree form...after the lower branches alway being on the ground I gave it shot and just prune it up

• starlight99
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My Strawberry Sundae is doing okay as it is sitting in a pot waiting to be transplanted into the ground in the Fall. It is not a bushy and healthy compared to how it looked last year when it was in ground.

hyed,

I love your VS tree! I like hydrangea trees with multiple stems more than the single trunk on. Eventually, I would like to do the same so I could get a tree like that.

• starlight99
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, $6 for a Strawberry Sundae?!$@&/ That is amazing! I got lucky one year when I got a Bombshell for $5 at the Home Depot. However, it didn't bloom the next year so I replaced with Bobo.

• October_Gardens
    7 years ago

I'm beginning to get concerned about all these paniculata sizes going "above and beyond" what they're "supposed to." One freak of a single shoot on my VS just shot past 7' and it hasn't bloomed yet. Take heed!

• hyed
    7 years ago

Hi, agree with Springwood, my Quickfire is now 9' hi/8'w with a water ban...Boston

• GreenLarry
    7 years ago

Very nice. Is this a firm of H.paniculata?

• hyed
    7 years ago
    1. Hi, GreenLarry, Panci, about 10yrs , just prune the dead blooms in Sping...Afternoon sun...will turn a beautiful pink in a few wks along side a limelight....Boston area
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 years ago

GreenLarry, Quickfire is one of the cultivars of H. paniculata. In my garden, it starts blooming 4 weeks ahead of Pinky Winky. As you can see from hyed's photos it has looser, lacier flowers than many of the paniculatas, and I think it's my favorite of all the types I've seen. Here's mine which seems happy at around 6' - 6 1/2' tall.

• sarahsue4
    7 years ago

Has anyone had troubles with Strawberry Sundae blooms turning green? Right after I got them in the ground, they went from a beautiful creamy white - blushing at the bottom - to a dark lime green...

• luis_pr
    7 years ago

Possibly transplant shock. Whenever the plants get moved from one location to another or from the plastic pots into the ground, they may react in several ways. Looks like yours is aborting the shrubs early. In its first Summer, it is very normal to see those reactions, and not just with SS.

Too much heat makes them go from white directly to brown here at the plant nurseries in the Summer.

Insert a finger to a depth of 4" near the root ball to sense when the soil is drying; give the plant 1 to 1.5 gallons of water per watering (more in the Summer) and do not be afraid to provide it with more shade than it currently gets if necessary. Maintain 2-4" of mulch up to the drip line.

• sarahsue4
    7 years ago

Thanks, Luis!