Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Ok, I'm going to say it... I don't like Blushing Bride!

joannemb
12 years ago

It seems to be such a popular hydrangea on the forum...I bought 2 last year and it by far is my least favorite hydrangea. No one ever seems to talk about Forever and Ever white out--- I think it is one of the most under-rated hydrangeas out there! I have 4 in containers and they are just lovely. Sister Theresa is another absolutely gorgeous white that isn't discussed much. It isn't reblooming like the ES and FE varieties, but the blooms are so long lasting and sooooo very beautiful I don't mind. My blushing brides seem to have flat'ish blooms (if that makes any sense) and as a result make lousy cut flowers. It's not that BB is an ugly hydrangea (Lol--I don't think there is such a thing!) But it surprises me that it is the most talked about white. Any other white out and Sister Theresa fans out there? :)

Comments (8)

• amac
    12 years ago

Wow! I am surprised at your experience. BB is my favorite of all my hydrangeas (ES, Limelight, Vanilla Strawberry, Edgy Orbits, Lanarth White, and Bits of Lace.) I have also had in the past Glowing Embers and F&E pink and Dooley.

I am not in a zone where I could have Sister Theresa - or I would have it. I have not seen White Out in our area.

My blooms are stunning cut - so I am wondering what the difference between yours and mine might be? Mine were planted in May '08 (East side location) and I have 2 in pots - facing North.

I hope yours will improve with age - as I think they are so lovely.

I do wish I could have Sister Teresa or MEM.

Do you have a picture of your White Out - I'd love to see it : )

Best Wishes!
    AMAC

• amac
    12 years ago

Wow! I am surprised at your experience. BB is my favorite of all my hydrangeas (ES, Limelight, Vanilla Strawberry, Edgy Orbits, Lanarth White, and Bits of Lace.) I have also had in the past Glowing Embers and F&E pink and Dooley.

I am not in a zone where I could have Sister Theresa - or I would have it. I have not seen White Out in our area.

My blooms are stunning cut - so I am wondering what the difference between yours and mine might be? Mine were planted in May '08 (East side location) and I have 2 in pots - facing North.

I hope yours will improve with age - as I think they are so lovely.

I do wish I could have Sister Teresa or MEM.

Do you have a picture of your White Out - I'd love to see it : )

Best Wishes!
    AMAC

• joannemb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Are your BB blooms spheres? Mine are like a 1/2 dome shape. It is a pretty plant--don't get me wrong, but I guess I much prefer White Out (beautiful dark green foliage and showier bright white flowers.) Maybe it isn't talked about because it is so hard to find. I had to stalk the Lowe's Garden man for weeks and get the shipment as soon as it arrived to get the ones I got this year. I'll post pictures tomorrow...

And who knows, maybe in a couple of years my BB will mature into everything I had hoped it to be! :)

• madeyna
    12 years ago

I have both and ffwhite out doesn,t bloom as well for me as bb. Bb blooms earlyer with more blooms. On the other hand ffwhite out is a nicer looking shrub over all because it tends to be a darker green and denser. I wouldn,t want to have to chose between them but if I had to it would be BB because it gets smothered in blooms . Although for the first time neither of them are trying to bloom at all this year.

• October_Gardens
    12 years ago

I can say that this year's shipment of BB (at least to my area) was extremely goofed up. Something tells me the grower for Bailey didn't overwinter them correctly or used a bad potting mix or something. The gallon pots had tons of foliage, and in the ground quickly grew leggy stems to 3x3, but will NOT produce buds. To boot these are in the same soil as T&S, regular ES, and Forever & Ever's, all of which bloomed and continue to bud. Since I put 2 in the ground back in May there has only been a total of ONE new flower bud, and that took 2.5 months to form. It's weird to ask "where's the blooming?" let alone "where's the reblooming?"

A good winter of my BB going commando should set them on track next spring.

White Out isn't practical enough for my large beds. The reblooming mophead family definitely has room for some larger white specimens that behave differently than either of these.

• jojo68
    12 years ago

@Springwood Gardens,
    Sounds like your BB had too much nitrogen applied.

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

You could check with one of those soil test kits that checks for too much/too little nitrogen in the soil.

• October_Gardens
    12 years ago

Yeah, I suspect that may be the case. I'll just wait it out, as it seems like the stem ends now have tight swollen clusters of leaf shoots beginning to open up, which probably contain buds. They are on almost every end so I suspect the native soil is beginning to balance the plant. 3 month delay isn't too bad. The late summer color of white will just be shared with the paniculatas by these new BB.