Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msalcido_gw

Bargain Deal at Lowes

msalcido
13 years ago

I just purchased this F & E at Lowes. Not sure what kind it is because the tag was missing. I got it for the bargain price of $5.98. It was marked down from $19.98 to $9.98 but since it only has one bloom which is already green I talked the sales guy down to $5.98

Is it to late in the season to plant? Should I put it in a pot and wait till spring to put it in the ground?

Does anyone know what kind it is?

Mike

Comments (11)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Mike, Can't help with the variety, but you've got plenty of time to get that into the ground! Around here, we plant hydrangeas in the ground into September and I'm sure you have great weather way beyond us. You still have plenty of time to grow a good root system in the ground! Haven't a clue what that could be, it could even be miss-marked, but then you'll have a surprise next year and whatever it is I'm sure it will be a good surprise!!

By the way, what ever advice I give, remember I am NO expert, so if anyone else thinks differently please say so, my advice is for MA only everything else is an assumption!!

Donna

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Donna, I appreciate your input. I'm in Dallas, and the weather right now has been very HOT and humid. I was thinking it would be OK to plant in the ground as well. I just need to find a spot for it.
    It has a very large mophead bloom on it so, not quite sure what type. I'll be very happy to see next year.

Thanks again.

• georgia-rose
    13 years ago

Stopped at a Lowes yesterday, to check their sale items, after reading about some fabulous deals mentioned on GW Forums.
    None of their plants had been marked down or watered and were near dead in our 100°heat. There were no other customers and no employees, except a bored CO clerk, trying to keep cool.

They have a lot of nursery competition in this area and even the wholesale nurseries have cut prices and will do a bit of haggling, to unload their unsold stock.
    I don't understand the local Lowes' sales philosophy, never have and probably never will!

• joannemb
    13 years ago

Mike,
    I'm jealous! That looks like it is "White Out"---I've been trying to find it locally with no luck. Great price--wow!

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Georgia-rose - You are right. I normally don't shop at Lowes for plants because they are usually dead, dried out and just plain not up to par. I went there to buy potting soil for cuttings and just wanted to take a look at the hydrangeas, (I had not intention of buying)so as I started poking through all the dead ones I found this little one with bright green leaves and huge bloom (albeit already green) so I thought I'd give it a try.

@Joannemb - you are correct. I just looked on the F & E website and after reading all the descriptions, I would have to agree with you!

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So found another great deal - Home Depot had ES Twist and Shouts in 3 gallons marked from $19.98 to $10.00. I then was able to talk the sales girl down to $8.00 since it had dead blooms. I've transplanted to a nice pot and it's doing great. I guess this is the time to buy cheap plants. LOL.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Darn. I went to both Lowes and Home Depot yesterday. Lowes had no hydrangeas and the ones at Home Depot had not been marked down. The clerk told me that Home Depot does not own the plants; a vendor owns them and he had been in yesterday bud did not mark them down.

I thought that was interesting. I did not know that the garden centers at the big box stores did business this way.

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Weird I've never head of them doing business this way either. Maybe in your city that is how they do it? I'm sure they will start marking them down. I would keep checking with them to see when they do.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    13 years ago

A couple months ago, I bought a double knock out rose at lowes. It was marked down from original price to ~ 14.95, but at the check out, the clerk said that he will futher reduced it to $5 as it wilted from lack of water, and I did not even ask!. It has been doing great in my garden and flowers have been non-stop.

Not sure if this practice is universal though at all Lowes.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I went to the Lowes at the next town over and to Home Depot - no markdowns. I guess I am just in the wrong part of DFW. Heck!!!

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL. I'm sorry. Not sure what part of town you are in. I went to the Lowes on Inwood and Forest and the HD located at 635 and MacArthur.

I was at HD on Macarthur last night and they still have them.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA