Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Diamond Tree Hydrangea

Posted by tmdago TN (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 18:45

I planted a pink diamond tree hydrangea last summer. It has bloomed beautifully this summer but the limbs and blooms are limp and hanging down toward the ground. Is this normal? It doesn't look like pictures I've seen. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Diamond Tree Hydrangea

Sometimes the wieght of the blooms makes the stems flop but other times the plant is not getting enough moisture and it wilts in a manner similar as you describe. If the soil feels dry, I suggest watering more often in the summer months and making sure that the plant has 3-4" of mulch thru the drip line. If the soil is moist, you could prune the blooms if they are bending the stems a lot. They should get stronger in future years. Some support somtimes helps too.

o

My PD tree drooped severely in past years too. I think it is mostly from the weight of the blooms - especially after a lot of rain. This year I'm doing ok. Maybe because we've been fairly dry. Also could be because I removed at least half of the new growth in the early spring. Now the larger, more established branches are supporting less weighty new growth. And my blooms are quite large too. Next year I'm going to experiment more with a second pruning in mid-spring to keep the new growth a little shorter in some areas. I'd like to keep the canopy a little more symmetrical. We'll see how this works.

o

I pruned my limelight tree down to the second leaf last year and it has come back beautiful. I just got a pink diamond tree the other day and it's a little floppy but I think a good prune in early spring and it will be looking good. I have never seen one in the box stores or even the nursery look great. If you prune it good the second year will be much better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here