Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wild_belief

A Sneak Peek at Bella Anna- (Pics!)

wild_belief
13 years ago

Hi all,

I had the opportunity to make a trip out to Plant Introductions yesterday to get a look at 'Bella Anna'- the *other* pink Annabelle- which will be hitting the market next Spring, as part of the Endless Summer line. All I can say is "wow." This plant is leaps and bounds above 'Invincibelle Spirit', and definitely worth the wait. Its stems are stronger, its blooms are larger, and its color is a much truer pink than any of the Invincibelles I've seen. But I would expect no less from Dr. Dirr and his crew- they take their work very seriously, and are not in the business of fooling people. These are straight out of the camera- no photoshopping or marketing glitz. And remember these are late season blooms, past their prime. I saw a few plants later in the day that were much more showy, with gorgeous, mostly sterile moheads (like the marketing hype shows), but my camera had run out of battery power (sorry!). Anyway, with no further adieu, I give you 'Bella Anna':

Dirr is still working on these plants full time, and has already begun breeding for stronger stems. They expect an even stronger plant in a few generations- but these upright beauties are already nowhere near as scraggly and floppy as the Invincibelles I've got. Within a year or two, we'll be seeing some truly remarkable pink arborescens.

If you're interested in this kind of stuff, I'm planning to put up another post with more photos from my trip in the Southern Gardening forum today or tomorrow- got some great pics/info about all kinds of crazy work they're doing: black-stemmed twist-n-shouts, a mophead Hydrangea aspera, black-fruited dwarf pomegranates, hybrid crape myrtles, cold-hardy lantanas, and on and on...

Comments (21)

• madeyna
    13 years ago

I love the deeper color on that one.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Very Beautiful!! I'm wondering if she is ph sensitive and will she change colors in different soils or will she maintain her beautiful pink color!

• judithhydrangea
    13 years ago

This is fascinating. Thanks for the pics, Wild Belief. No, she won't change to blue or lavender. The pink might get deeper or duskier, but no color change.

Here is a link that might be useful: All About Hydrangeas

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Can't wait to get me a couple. Beautiful!!

• dwk001
    12 years ago

Just bought a 'Bella Anna' today (2 Gal. container) at Sid's Greenhouse in Bolingbrook, IL. It's short and bushy, but already has sturdy stems and larger, thicker leaves than 'Invincibelle.' Lots of flower buds, too. Robust is a word that comes to mind.

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

Post pictures when you get some blooms, dwk001!

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I'd sure love to see more Hydrangeas as small as 'Pia' that is just gorgeous but my yard is too small for any more full sized Hydrangeas.

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

Check out the Cityline Series in the link below, find a nearby retailer and see if they have one that fits your taste & garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cityline Hydrangeas

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    12 years ago

Mcdonalds in Tidewater is selling Bella anna-very dark green leaves and loaded with buds............

• October_Gardens
    12 years ago

How are prices so far - comparable to original/BB/TNS? I would expect a 2-gal to run $25 or less, demand included. They don't seem to have any Bella Annas yet in the greater Pittsburgh PA area (closest quoted by Bailey is currently a 60mi round trip!), and a rep said they wouldn't be sold anywhere but independent nurseries this year. It's hilarious going around asking local nursery men about this, and they say "Don't you mean Annabelle? They're right over there!"

• dwk001
    12 years ago

The price at Sid's is $39.95 for a 2-gal container--this is very typical pricing for new introductions at independent local nurseries in the western suburbs of Chicago.

• October_Gardens
    12 years ago

Ah, that's the same price as my closest carrier. 2-gals-for-40 seem to be the standard, then. I'll tell you guys where these are after I get one on Friday. Ha.

• msalcido
    12 years ago

Love my Bella Anna - it's a small plant, just got it about 2 months ago but it's blooming and I really love it. Here are a couple of pics -

• October_Gardens
    12 years ago

OK Trax Farms of Finleyville PA (south of Pittsburgh) has lots of these. I got one that's almost 3 feet tall with 10+ bloom heads on it. In fact they carry almost all new or recent introductions of hydrangea - couldn't leave without 3 different ones! This is by far the best nursery I have ever been to.

They also have 5-gal Vanilla Strawberries, Forever & Ever Fantasia, Bombshell, Little Lime, 10-gals of PA Pride Time After Time, Great Star paniculata, etc.

Just throwing this out there for anyone who might happen to be in this area.

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    12 years ago

Bought this plant last summer and it is coming back now. Its very tiny and I pruned off the dead stems-- new stems are emerging now. QUESTION: do I need to add lime to the soil to keep it this lovely pink flower color or is it naturally pink w/o the use of lime? TIA.

• Ruth_MI
    12 years ago

Bella Anna is pink and the color does not depend on the soil.

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

I don't think it looks good at all. The color pink just doesn't look like a good pink to me. They need to kkep trying though.

• Ruth_MI
    12 years ago

IMO, there's too much visible green in the flower, and it muddies the pink a LOT. I bought Bella Anna last year just because it was early in the year, a new cultivar, and I love hydrangeas...and "different." I didn't care for it last year, but would love to be surprised and like it more this year. Not holding my breath though.

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

That type of Hydrangea was meant to be white. It just doesn't look good with pink. The blooms are so tiny they are barely visible.

• dukegg1
    11 years ago

We're in our 2nd year with ours & we're not too happy with it. Very floppy; blooms are dull; dries out much faster than other hydrangeas nearby. May take it out at the end of the season.

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

The blooms do seem to lose luster a lot faster than Annabelles, which stand right beside mine. That is why I bought it though; a good mix with regular Annabelles. On it's own I don't see Bella Anna doing much for anyone. A spirea can make one happier that way, I suppose.