Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msalcido_gw

New York Hydrangea Photos

msalcido
13 years ago

I just returned from NYC and was amazed at all the hydrangeas growing everywhere. Of course I had to take pictures of all of them. Here are a few I wanted to share. I wanted to take cuttings from each one of them - LOL

I think this one is Annabelle?

Oakleaf -

Serrata? -

Is this a Nikko?-

Not sure what this one is however it was the most beautiful shade of deep red almost dark purple.

Comments (10)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Great photos, all of them!! I too love the dark red to purples. Last year we found one that looks just like yours growing in a cemetery on Cape Cod. A few snips later....... this year it is blooming a gorgeous Bubble Gum pink! Cape Cod is known for its acidic soil and their beautiful blues, and you never see pinks growing down there, just all shades of blue and lovely dark purples. Love them all!

Donna

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Donna! Do you happen to know what the last one is? I want one. LOL

13 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't know which one that is. She's a beauty though.....

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know. I really would like to know what it is so I can try and find one.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    13 years ago

that last one looks like Merrits Suprem or Merrits Beauty

13 years ago

Hi, Here is my Merrit's Supreme, bought a small plant late last year and the flowers were going into their fall color and were quite purple. This year it's decided it wants to be very pink, will have to see what color it changes to this fall, anyway it wants to look, it's beautiful! I think it may be a bit tender so we put it under a deck on the South Side of the house and it did beautifully, though only had 2 flowers. But in your zone, you should be fine if you can find it.

Another possibility is Purple Majesty, we bought last year at a local nursery. Yes, I do buy some plants, and this one was a pretty purple last year and it's purple this year!! Nice dark green leaves on both of these varieties!!

Here is Merrit's Supreme:

From HYDRANGEAS

From HYDRANGEAS

and Purple Magesty:

From HYDRANGEAS
    From HYDRANGEAS

Venice is another really purple flower that that has a very sturdy growth habit and it's blooming purple again this year.
    Venice:

From HYDRANGEAS

and while were on purples, last year we found this gorgeous purple in a cemetery on Cape Cod and this year the cuttings are blooming and it's a shocking pink! The PH of the soil can change just about any of these!!

Cemetery Purple/Pink:

From HYDRANGEAS

and just one more purple, we found at a gas station, but these cutting got killed in a late spring frost, so I don't have this one (yet)!

Gas Station Purple:

From HYDRANGEAS

Well, now you all know how crazy I really am!!

Donna

13 years ago

Sorry, I put the wrong photo in the Cemetery Purple/Pink photo in the last post, that was Venice again. I guess I'm getting confused with all these purples!! Hope you find a lovely purple to please you, there are plenty to choose from!!

Cemetery Purple pink this year:

From HYDRANGEAS

Donna

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awesome purple ones. I'm now on the hunt for purple. LOL
    You should send me some cuttings. : )

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna - I just looked at your hydrangea photo album and all I can say is WOW! They are some beauties. The Domotoi is absolutely stunning as well as all the rest. Great job!

13 years ago

Glad you were able to view the album, easy isn't it? Keep checking in from time to time, as I'm constantly adding new pictures. Went to Heritage Museums and Gardens on Cape cod yesterday and took a few pictures will add in a few days.

Donna