Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting limelight hydrangea under pecan tree

Posted by dkshowli TN (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 19:56

I live in Memphis,TN and have several old (50-60 yrs) pecan trees. I would like to plant some limelight hydrangeas around the base of one of these trees. Is this advisable? The tree is on the north side of my home and I currently have encore azaleas around the tree, which I would like to relocate to my backyard. This area is mainly shady with some morning and late afternoon sun. I currently have oakleaf hydrangeas around another of the pecans and they do very well. I'm eager to begin this project and would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting limelight hydrangea under pecan tree

This is just a guess, but if the Encores were doing well there, I think Limelight would do fine. Mine is planted near several large native trees, is on the further edge from the sprinkler system and is doing beautifully. (It gets aLOT of sun too).

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 1:38

"Limelight" is a PeeGee type and does best in full sun, these hydranges are not really shade hydrangas. May do okay in part shade but blooming won't be near potential. You're better off with a macrophylla or oakleaf type.

o

Southern sun is so intense that even paniculatas appreciate some afternoon shade (mid afternoon on, say). The blooms will last longer with it, and believe me, it doesn't reduce their blooms at all.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 23:39

Good point, Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here