Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvergold_gw

Different types of arborescens (pics/comments)-your experience?

silvergold
17 years ago

Being in a northern climate I thought it was appropriate to add a collection of arborescense to my paniculatas. As I watch them develop, though, I understand why Annabelle is queen. Would be curious if anyone else has these varieties, what your experience has been - and do you have any pictures? Here is what I have.....

Pink Pincushion (Wilkerson Mill Gardens; Sep 2003). This may be pink but it is dull in my opinion. This is the first year with any substantial flowering so will give them a while longer. However, they are planted in a spot where typically viewed from a distance and are not really good in that regard as the flowers blend with the foilage. Leaves are rough and insects seem to like them.

{{gwi:1013960}}
{{gwi:1013961}}

Samantha (Klehms Song Sparrow; May 2004). The few blooms this one gets are mostly underneath the leaves. Too bad as they are pretty. Will let this one stay a while to see if it improves - maybe try pruning it to the ground next year. What is unusual is the white underneath the leaves - but unless it is windy you don't notice. And White Dome also has this. Overall I'm dissapointed.

{{gwi:1013986}}

White Dome. Purchased locally in 2004. This is it's first year to bloom. Only a few stems but it is in a very windy spot and suffered from lack of water last year until we installed drip irrigation in this area. Too early to say as it has so few stems but it growing on me. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

{{gwi:1013987}}

Hayes sturburst (Klehms Song Sparrow, this year. Buds were already formed when I received it. Very small plant but I like the flowers.

{{gwi:1013988}}

Annabelle - I love this one. I have it in several places.

{{gwi:1013989}}

Comments (6)

• teri55
    17 years ago

Beautiful pictures - I love the Hayes Starburst - and I agree with you about the Annabelles. Do you know much about the Hayes Starburst? I tried looking it up on line and I read that it didn't ship that well. Does it bloom old or new wood? What kind of area did you put it in? Thanks.

• silvergold
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi teri. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I received my Hayes Starburst via mail order this past spring and it was fine. I have it in bright shade currently. My other hydrangeas (except Endless Summer) seem to bloom fine in this area so will see how it performs over the next couple of years. In Dirr's book he mentioned that he had difficulties with Hayes Sturburst but that his climate (Georgia?) might be too hot. It blooms on new wood.

• jeff_al
    17 years ago

interesting observation from dirr on 'hayes' starburst'.
    this one originated as a chance seedling in the garden of a gardenweb member (plantaholic)in anniston, al.(zone 7b)
    i would think the climate would be very similar to athens, ga.
    perhaps it is just not a vigorous cultivar.
    it is pretty, though.
    i don't grow any h. arborescens but was thinking of trying that one.

• silvergold
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dirr does credit Hayes Jackson (Alabama) with this but also says that the origonal plant had died but that Jackson had shared the plant with friends.

• PollyNY
    17 years ago

I grow and sell Annabelle, Samantha, and White Dome. I love them all differently. Annabelle for full sun, absolutely blowsy, beautiful flowers. Samantha in some shade. I get many flowers on Sam, and they do not flop like Annabelle, but are not as large. They are not hidden by the leaves, that may be a juvenile attribute. And the silvery underside of the leaves is pretty. And White Dome, maybe my favorite for part shade, so Victorian looking. And I love it's dark green leaves.

No question Annabelle has the largest flowers, but I really appreciate the graceful look of White Dome.

Hayes Starburst looks very pretty.

But the pink one...........I don't know.

Polly

• silvergold
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL ("the pink one...I don't know). My thoughts too.

I'll give Samantha some time to get going. Just wondering - do you cut yours back in the spring? Does anyone have pictures of White Dome more established? I've seen good comments on it.