Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Bow down to paniculata

whaas_5a
9 years ago

All these are only 3-5 years old and are already performers.
Only pruned these back about 1/3 after that brutal winter. 40+ days below zero and roughly 5 days between -15 and -20. Tough as nails.

More to come as everything is behind. Don't even have noticeable buds on Limelight and Little Lime.

Mystical Flame - close to 12 hours of full sun peak season
{{gwi:662307}}

Quickfire = doesn't get alot of sun being north exposed and shaded by a buckeye so its behind and still has strong blooms!
{{gwi:399964}}

Dharuma - nice compact selection
{{gwi:692198}}

Bobo...getting ready...this cultivar is going to be a hit!
{{gwi:399965}}

Comments (9)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

That is a fine testimony those plants carry after this past winter. Thanks.

tj

• Molex 7a NYC
    9 years ago

Your Bobo looks great, I got a Bobo and a Fire-n-Ice from Bluestone during one of their sales to compliment a Quickfire and and some Macs I have. Can't wait to see them take off next year.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Definitely a surprise to me as well. Couple of these where out in the open with full wind and winter sun.

I was thinking about getting a Fire n ice myself. One nursery around here loves em as they are very stem full and have a unique marron color.

I should stop in and see if they have any this season.

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

Photos were gone when I stopped by!?!?!

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

I can't see the pictures either. Do you by chance fertilize your Quick Fire? What type of soil is it in? Still trying to figure out why some of mine have bloom issues.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, moved em!

Ruth, I have sandy loam. ph is between 7.0 and 7.3.
    I never fertilize anything except my grass in the fall.

Quickfire has always been the most reliable and fullest bloomers I've encountered...multple homes and soil types. If yours are established, in part to full sun and not in the brocolli stage something is up.

Link should work below

I'll get some pics of my Bobos as they should be blooming nicely in a couple days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangeas

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info. Really not sure what's up with mine.

• bernerfolk
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting your photos, especially of Dharuma as there's not much to be found online for them. I'm considering putting a Dhrumba front and center along my front walk but there's a Japanese Maple similar to Bloodgood in the vacinity. Can you give me an idea how magenta-y the blooms age? If it's a soft, antiquey shade I'm good... A hot pink wouldn't work. Also, does Dhruma stay upright and looking good for you after rain? I'm trying to avoid floppydrangeas.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll post new pics in a couple weeks. My Bobos are about to explode.

Dhruma's flower type doesn't make it flop. Even with the strongest mature stems I'll still see cutlivars like Limelight flop after a hard rain. Depending on duration and humidity they may tend to stay like that too for the remainder of the growing season.

Broken Arrow Nursery touts Dhruma as one of the best H. paniculata cutlviars out there for its dense flower set and compact habit. It has a fairly thick leaf compared to others as well.