Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Invincibelle Spirit, anyone have it?

I purchased one a couple months ago, and was lucky to find a 5 gallon one. It looked so nice in the container! When i went to plant it , the root system was so small, and the plant kinda flopped, and is now just laying there. Im not sure if its developing roots and thats why it hasnt grown any up top? Its not veery sturdy yet. Its been blooming well but is just laying around. Anyone else have this expirience? I hope it does well , it was the priciest plant ive ever bought!

Comments (10)

• joycekh
    13 years ago

Yes, the one I planted (and 2 other friends) just fell down once the blooms came, but even worse, the rabbits stripped all the leaves off my stems, and the flowers are now brown. I really hope that this did not kill the plant, and the root system has taken enough that next spring I will get all new shoots. One thing for sure, I will make sure that it is staked up properly before any flowers.

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

Take all you hear about this plant with a grain of salt. Its too new...afterall its an annabelle and they do flop.

This one is supposed to have stronger stems but it will take a few years...I don't know anyone that has had the plant for a few years.

As for mine...many stems have flopped after a rain and they didn't perk back up. There are now new blooms perking up that aren't flopping.

That is just year 1 and you can't make judgement on a young plant like that. My initial thought is that is will have a long bloom period. All though the color isn't the greatest I still perfer it to the amazingly overused white version that starts limey, turns white, then goes brown.

• hammonds_ns
    13 years ago

I have this plant - probably purchased it around the end of June - to be honest I have been pleased with it to date - we just had a week with a mix of heavy downpours, windy and then days of very high humidity, and it has weathered it all just fine, no flopping or any other stress...flowers are nearly all open - have been taking some progress pics as it develops which you can see below...

End of June pic...

{{gwi:1014139}}

Early July...

{{gwi:1014140}}

Taken today (a day after heavy rains etc.)

{{gwi:1014141}}

Today...

{{gwi:1014142}}

{{gwi:1014143}}

• ego45
    13 years ago

Do not forget to post pictures of 'pantyhose stage' of it in 12-14 days. Yuk! :-(((

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

I've read folks use pantyhose as a color decriptor before...I don't get it?

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess mine was just a weaker specimen then! Hammonds, your pics are awesome. I know annabelle types have weaker stems in general, so im not expecting sturdyness, but mine looks like a pile of wet noodles! Lol
    Regardless, i love it and will baby it till it decides to grow better. I really like it and wish i could have afforded another, maybe next season!

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

Mine looks like hammond's. I like it, but I don't see any hint of reblooming after removing spent flowers a month ago. Maybe it's working on establishing itself this year and will rebloom next year.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

so did anyone get any reblooming?

I bought one half-price at the end of the season. I was quite impressed that it still had new buds coming up very late in the season. I think it was September. it had been pruned in its container. There was fresh foliage and ugly old foliage in same container. Maybe mid-season pruning is necessary for reblooming????

I just read about H. Bella Anna coming and am kinda sorry I grabbed IS. Oh well...can't resist a sale on something new and different.

• wild_belief
    13 years ago

We saw some re-blooming on our crop at the nursery, but overall, I'm still unimpressed with this plant. I have seen Bella Anna in person, and it is a much stronger, and more heavily pigmented arborescens. They just jumped the gun with Invincibelle Spirit. I have seen a few that look nice, and the pics above are really quite lovely, but in my experience, its a pretty wimpy plant.

• Tim Wood
    13 years ago

I think you have to give Hydrangea arborescens some time to mature in the garden to judge the plant. I planted a 3 gallon Invincibelle in my garden and in it's second year the stems woody and strong and it holds it flowers up better than Annabelle. It's still flowering and it's November.