Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vega_lyrah

My hydrangeas are lookin' not so hot...

vega-lyrah
9 years ago

Sorry, no pics. The blooms on my hydrangeas are not tightly clustered as they should be, and have brown spots... almost as if they were burnt. The leaves look very healthy.

They are planted along the side of my house and get only partial sun, so could it be lack of sun? Moisture? What could be causing this?

Also, strange side note: my plants have pink, purple, and blue blooms. All on the same plant. It's like they're transitioning or something.

Comments (8)

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

Hard to tell without pictures. Could be normal or not.

Some hydrangea varieties have blooms whose sepals show colored spots as the blooms' color begins to fade. Preziosa comes to mind.

Others have blooms that get a lot of sun/temps or do not get enough water and then the sepals turn brown.

Some hydrangeas have a habit of producing blooms of different shades of color. Other hydrangeas have blooms that fade but not in concert with the other blooms so you end up with some changing ahead of others. Enjoy the show!

This post was edited by luis_pr on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 3:17

• vega-lyrah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i am totally enjoying the show. :) Just wish they looked healthier...

• vega-lyrah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bloom.

• vega-lyrah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In another area of the yard... I guess sand is very alkaline.

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

Looks very healthy to me. The brown spots on the blooms are probably sunburn and can be cut out if you want to. Maybe put mulch down to keep weeds at bay and conserve moisture for the roots.

• magga
    9 years ago

Can you advise me on my hydrangeas, they were a very vibrant purple/blue and really healthy looking, but now they're faded n brown. Any help much appreciated.

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

^What's that one there? Zorro? It's a neat one for sure.

Sun scorch (rapid browning) and fading are all part of the aging process of a hydrangea bloom.

The more midday-afternoon shade available, the longer the blooms will last before such events occur. This especially critical in zone 9a. Morning sun only.

Around mid-July, the plants' first round of blooms will be spent from a combination of fading and sun scorch. At this point, you can cut them off. If and only if the plant is a rebloomer, you'll get a second flush. Otherwise, you'll need to wait until next year's show.

• vega-lyrah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful baby you have there magga, even though it is browning. I think we both need to limit our plant's sun. What zone are you in?

Thank you all. My plants are definite rebloomers, so I will remember to cut the dried and deadened blooms off.

Another question: one of my plants seems to have been pushed up from where I planted him and the top of his root bulb is exposed by about an inch and a half. Is this simple soil erosion, a burrowing animal (no tell tale gopher sand piles around him), or what? And what can I do? Replant? Place some soil and/or mulch around the base?