Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen1earthangel

if I can get just one, which is best choise?

karen1earthangel
13 years ago

I want to try my luck with one hydrangea again. A few years ago i planted 5 but they all are gone now.Think they just did not get enough sun or something. I have a new location now with good light and want to plant just one that is hardy in Ohio and blooms alot. I did have Doogie or something like that in the past and endless summer and nikko blue but they did not make it, They were good plants because I dug them when they looked poorly and at my girlfriends they are HUGE in her yard in better light,

Lowes has I think forever and ever,is that a nice one, does it compare to nikko blue or endless sumemr>

thanks so much

by the way what plant zone am i in>

Comments (8)

• wild_belief
    13 years ago

I don't have personal experience with the forever&ever line, but others seem to like it. If you want a macrophylla (what most people think of when they hear 'hydrangea'), just be sure it's a rebloomer. Most are quite similar, and will probably do fairly well with proper care in your area. There are at least a few regulars in this forum who are from Ohio- and they could be a great help with particulars, I bet.

If you're not committed to a macrophylla, an arborescens type would be a hardier choice. They are all white or pink though, with less variation in shape and size.

You can figure out your hardiness zone at the link below.

I hope you find something lovely that does well in your new spot. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Zone by zip code

• anitamo
    13 years ago

If I could just have one hydrangea, I'd definitely get a paniculata. Either 'Limelight' or 'Quick Fire.' Both are reliable bloomers, pest free and easy to grow.

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

Just make sure you maintain the soil as evenly moist as you can, not dry, not wet. Long dry cycles could result in no hydrangeas again. Planting in the summer is ok but it would be less stressful when the temps go down later in the Summer or by the start of Fall.

• karen1earthangel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the link to the zone too:)

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

Paniculata exhibits a degree of drought tolerance and good heat tolerance.

'Limelight' or 'Quick Fire' would be your best choices...there are several others to chose from as well just depends on what flower "look" you prefer. Personally I prefer the more airly look of Quick Fire.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

I'd also recommend a paniculata. These are some of the hardiest and also the most sun and drought tolerant - pretty much no-brainers if you are new to or have difficulty growing hydrangeas. And they do not require any winter protection, which most macrophyllas do in your climate and they can be pruned back seasonally at will without sacrificing flowers.

You will not get the color range with these like you would with macs. White flowers only but often an attractive lime or chartreusey green in bud and fading to various shades of pink to red as they age.

• Cher
    13 years ago

No question go with Quick Fire or Limelight.
    Cher

• sue36
    13 years ago

Of all the hydrangeas I have (ES, Limelight, Annabelle, Incrediball, Tardiva, Quickfire, Blue Billow and bunch of others), I like the Little Lamb the best.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!