Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snowball Bush

Posted by brer Zone 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 21:08

When I was growing up in the Western States of the US, we had a beautiful 'snowball bush,' or at least that's what we called it.

Is a snowball bush the same thing as a hydrangea?

If not, what is the difference?

Ours was creamy white, and under it grew the most fragrent violets I've ever known. You could smell them the minute you walked out the back door and before the wooden screen slammed against the frame.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snowball Bush

Thanks to the confusion of Common Names, Snowball Bush is used to describe plants from both the Hydrangea and Viburnum Genera. Hydrangea paniculata 'Grandiflora' or PeeGee(P.G.) is sometimes called Snowball Bush, but the most common reference to Snowball Bush is to Viburnum species from China (V. macrocephalum), Japan (V. plicatum) and Europe (V. opulus).
If they bloom in the spring, they are Viburnum, since the PeeGee (P.G.) Hydrangea blooms later in summer, July-August.
It is interesting to note that most gardeners, some with many years experience, cannot distinguish between the Viburnum & Hydrangea flowers (absent foliage). About the only true distinguishing feature is the number of stamen in each floret, 5 in Viburnum, 7-8+ in Hydrangea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snowball Bush

o
Thank you, Georgia-rose

• Posted by brer Zone 7 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 8:26

That was very interesting!

o

This is my viburnum opulus (commonly called a snowball bush). It blooms in spring right after the lilacs. Lovely but it can't hold a candle to Annebelle for length of bloom or size of bloom.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Wow, the picture above looks so very much like H.quercifolia 'Harmony'. If the leaves were a bit larger it would be a dead ringer!..Very interesting. Thanks....yg

o

So i bought some snowballs at a big box store. I have wanted to plant Hydrangea's for some time and they caught my eye. They were not labeed and after calling the company i found out they are Snowball. Do you think that I would be happier in the long run if i bought the Annebelle instead? I live in Loas angeles. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here