Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gingerblue_gw

Nikko Reblooming??

GingerBlue
18 years ago

I have what I always assumed was Nikko Blue. It was bought three years ago from Lowe's and simply labeled "Blue Hydrangea". This year it bloomed beautifully and now they're fading to a nice white. And the plant has put out new growth. And today I noticed new buds forming on the new growth. Can Nikko Blue bloom on new growth or is my plant really mislabeled?

Comments (3)

• lsimms
    18 years ago

I've heard Nikko's DO bloom on new. My only experience with them is an established hedge in my town. They did NOT bloom at all after a spectacularly harsh winter in New England last year. It's an established hedge and I missed the blooms. Lotsa green, but no blue.

Nikko's have been sold in the North for their hardiness against the cold with good reason. I think the reason is that they bloom on new wood. I also think there's only so much a plant can withstand.

Nikko is a good choice and all reports here in the forum say it blooms on new wood. But, it might not, given the weather.

They're beautiful hydrangeas, enjoy.

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

The problem with trying to get info about Nikko is that everyone who thinks they have one, does not necessarily have the same plant. There are a lot of plants claiming to be Nikko and even the experts don't know which one is the real Nikko. I think many nurseries have slapped the Nikko label on any number of blue mopheads. That said, they have been reported to have reblooming qualities (which does not necessarily mean blooming on new wood, sometimes buds on the old wood that did not shoot up in Spring, will flower later in the season). Also, the new growth having set buds, does not necessarily translate into new flowers this season, they could be setting for next season. Sorry if this post poses more questions than answers. Whatever the name, the most important thing is that you like the plant and have had good performance. Enjoy it.....yg

• capefearless
    10 years ago

I have been rooting hydrangeas for a few years. I have 5 cultivars of mopheads including Nikko and Penny Mac. Last year the markers got mixed up and lost on my cuttings. I thought I would just wait until they bloomed to see if they were Nikko Blue or Penny Mac. If they bloomed several times and on new growth then I would know, right? But then I noticed my main Nikko blue parent plant was blooming again on new growth! That had me wondering if it really was a Nikko blue. So I'm glad to read that it can rebloom, but I still don't know what my plants are. I think I'll sell them as mopheads and start fresh.