Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iyrytish

Sudden wilting

iyrytish
14 years ago

Hello all, I purchased my first three hydrangeas in April and they were from the florist so already in bloom. They did fine and had a little sun scorch as the summer progressed so I moved them from a SW facing bed to a NW facing bed and they were fine. Within the last week I noticed first one, and now over a half, of the leaves, of all three plants mind you, have suddenly turned dark brown in the center with light brown on the outer edges and have started curling up. The weather has been relatively cool and we haven't been getting too much rain so I have been adding extra water in the evenings with drip irrigation. These are the only plants in that bed, or any of my beds, to be so afflicted and I am at a lose for what to do. I thought maybe since they were florist plants, and forced into bloom so early, they are going into hibernation for the fall. Since this is my first year gardening I am taking a wild shot in the dark with that idea. Any ideas what could so suddenly be wrong with my hydrangeas? It is the weirdest thing! Just within a single week they drop dead. HELP!

I tried to upload some pictures, but I am happy I can turn the computer on, and I couldn't get it to work.

Comments (3)

• orchidacea
    14 years ago

do all the leaves have various degree of curling up, brown spots or just the oldest leaves look like that...you talk about wilting, do you mean the leaves are droopy? i'd try not to water the plants in the evening..do that in the morning instead...how much sun these plants get even in the nw exposure - full day? brown and curling up, esp curly dry-n-even crispy edges = not enough water, too much fun...sometimes older leaves will look like that too, as long as the younger leaves look better, you should be fine...the florist hydrangeas have treated so heavily with various things that the plants are really not designed to live long an prosper in a regular outdoor garden...even that, i think it is way too early for any hydrangeas to go dormant..my best guess, just one, is that the plants are suffering from root rot...the roots are dying, plants getting thirsty then get fried...you think the plants have not gotten enough water, you give them some more, just feeding the root rotting causing fungus in the soil...if this is it, your plants are pretty much it...if they do die, go get some replacements from the local garden centers, they do have late summer sales, and can get good plants at a very affordable price. jmho

• iyrytish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It started on the left side of all the plants and has moved into the center and now is spreading through the right side. Almost all of the leaves are affected, new and old. They look like they haven't been getting enough water but soil says that it is not under watered. When I transplanted them I checked the roots for root rot and they all looked white and healthy. If it is root rot is there anything that I need to do to the soil when I bring new stock into the area? Thanks for the help.

• orchidacea
    14 years ago

ouch...something is happening, wish you have some pics for the correct diagnoses..but something nasty is happening to your plants..maybe time to get these sick plants a proper burial...as for the soil..if this is root rot, the soil fungus is there all the time, even in healthy soil...so not much you can do..maybe just let the soil plot dry out to kill the excessive fungus population..the root rot fungus love cool, damp coniditions...so a hot sun treatment will quickly keep them in check.