Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I really have Little Lamb? (1 pic)

Posted by alisande Zone 4b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 21:22

This hydrangea, purchased as Little Lamb, got cut to the ground by a rabbit right after planting last year. It came back (and I fenced it), but didn't have a chance to bloom until now.

As I understand it, Little Lamb's individual flowers are smaller than other paniculatas, and the panicles are smaller, too, "gamboling atop the plant." Well, my Little Lamb has produced one 12" panicle, presently lying on the ground. Its flowers are every bit as large as Limelight's.

I'm guessing it's a genuine Little Lamb that put all of its initial energy into one large bloom, but will revert to more normal behavior at some point. What do you think?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I really have Little Lamb? (1 pic)

I think you are right because cutting back Hydrangea paniculata typically results in larger than normal blooms.

o
RE: Do I really have Little Lamb? (1 pic)

That explains it, then. Thanks, Duncan!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here