Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivian_2010

How much sun can Incrediball Hydrangea tolerate?

I plan to plant 2 of these along the east side of the house, with sun from 8am-1pm, then afternoon shade. Is this enough sun for the Incrediball? Is it more similar to Endless Summer (realy dislike too much sun) or Limelight (like lots of sun)? I live in the Chicago area so summer can be pretty hot.

Spec sheet says full sun to part shade.

Thanks in advance,

Vivian

Comments (11)

• deanalj
    12 years ago

I have 5 of these: three in 9am-2pm sun and the other 2 in all-day (9+ hours), full sun. Those that get five hours do fine, but have been slower to grow than those in full sun. I find them more similar to limelight versus endless summer in terms of preference for sun. I am in st. louis (hot here, too). They are my favorite of the hydrangeas. They will do fine in the area you described.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your comments. Do the ones in 9am-2pm sun have smaller or less blooms than the ones in fun sun?

This is great. One of the problems I have is that I have limited place for part shade. So I will also plant 2 on the west side of the house where it gets more sun. I was worried that might be too much sun for the incrediball.

Thanks again,
    Vivian

• jlmcgov
    8 years ago

I bought an incrediball and am wondering if I can plant in a large container as I live in a townhouse and have retaining walls that are full of plants. Can I winter it in a garage? My neighbor winters her blue hydrangea in a whiskey barrel in the garage for the last 4 years and its fabulous. Judy

• Marie Tulin
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Judy, if you ask your question on a separate post and include your zone and some geographical info you'll get answers that are specific to your situation. It's confusing when people are trying to answer two different q on same thread. It will also help you because all answers on your q will be in one place

See OP (vivian) screen name for how to include zone info. You'll need to change your username but that is easy enough if you go to My Houzz in upper right hand corner.

• luis_pr
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

All things being equal, yes, you can try growing it in containers. The catch is that large containers get large/heavy and some garages are tight in the space department. Big containers are also a pain to move around, especially something like a half of a whiskey barrel that is full of potting soil. You may need some whiskey to move the darn thing. Ha!

A solution in some cases may be to put the container in "rollers" full time. I am lazy and have no helpers when aid is needed to bring the heavy pots into the garage or the house in the Fall so, having the containers already on s-t-r-o-n-g rolling plant caddies year around is useful.

• bakerc12
    8 years ago

I don't think there is such a thing as too much sun for Incrediball in 5a. Too much rain and wind, definitely, but not too much sun. Just my limited experience.

• Brooks23
    8 years ago

I am in KY zone 6 and was concerned about the amount of sun for Incrediball. We can get some pretty strong sun i the morning. I have room on the east side of my garage and would get morninng sun until about 2.

What do you think?

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Brooks, I would say " go for it"

It is interesting to see my post from 4 years ago. My incrediball has been doing really well, in the east side of my garage, getting all morning sun until 2:30pm (varies from early summer to later summer). It has been doing really well. It wilt a little bit with a few consecutive hot and dry days. But it always recovers nicely with some watering or rain.

It can grow pretty tall and really fast due to the amount of sun. Mine grew to a full ~ 4ft tall in the 2nd season from a 3 G plant.

• Brooks23
    8 years ago

Thanks for your information. I hope to plant either this fall or next spring.

• Brooks23
    8 years ago

That is great. I like Incrediball and Annabelle