Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue lacecap suggestion

Posted by bhomis none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 22:17

Hi. Which variety of blue lacecap flowers hold their blue coloring latest in the season?
Thanks,
Bruce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue lacecap suggestion

That is a tough question because of the process that is involved.

The true flowers in the center of the lacecap blooms can be pollinated and this will make them change color and produce seed pods. At the time this happens, the sterile sepals that surround the center's true flowers will rotate and change color.

So we could both have the same type of lacecap hydrangea. Yours might be able to hold the color longer than mine if pollination in your shrub occurs later.

o

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 13:29

Luis is right ~ Mother Nature rules! There are many factors that have to be considered (zone, sun-exposure the shrubs' basic habit of budding & flashtime etc) I have several H serratas that I have been observing closely ~ particularly, time between bud to flash, color convertibility & changes.

Blue Frost ~ I must have planted in an ideal site (in AM sun/bright shade) is my earliest budder(end-Apr to mid-May) bloomer (early-Jun to mid-jun) & most floriferous as I noted since planting in '08. Today the center has fuzzed up & starting to dust around. In a few weeks the infertile petals will start the characteristic, rotation slowly as well as turn to the pink & by fall into merlot (including foliage). From observation, also throws a few blue caboose late in season.

You should check out Blue Billow, Blue Bird & Blue Deckle (My Twist & Shouts are starting to show up blue on the new blooms produced after I have clipped all of the nursery produced ones).

o

I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense. Is there like an "in general" choice though? I'm in zone 7 (Long Island).

Blue Wave is impressive online, but I'm having trouble finding one locally for sale.

Bruce

o

Midnight dutchess is a great lacecap with black or eggplant stems on the new growth, it's not blue more of a mauve but fantastic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here