Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivian_2010

I bought 3 Limelight Today!

After seeing the pictures posted by Joanne, Unprofessional, Ostrich and others, I fell in love with the limelight hydrangeas. I finally found them in a loca nursery and bought 3.

One of them will be planted as a focal point in a full sun garden, next to 3 red knock out roses which have been blooming nicely since late May. I debated between Pinky Winky and Limelight but went with the later, as I thought the green and white conical flowers of the LL will be a nice contrast to the red roses. Is this the right assumption? I had the nursery store them for two weeks as we will be out of town. But want to double check the idea with the more experienced people here before I plant it in two weeks.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Vivian

Comments (4)

• joannemb
    13 years ago

Congrats! I love the idea of the white/turing lime green next to the red roses---beautiful contrast! Enjoy them :)

• melaroma
    13 years ago

Oh how I envy you! I saw some gorgeous ones at my favorite nursery and I could have gotten them half off thanks to some coupons I had but I resisted and left them behind. I have a bed that I need to prepare in the front to plant all those plants that I bought with no place to plant them because I am such an impulse buyer when it comes to plants. Hubby is lucky that I am not into shoes or clothes!

Maybe in the fall when they mark them down I can go back and grab a few... Maybe I should start working on two new beds... Or three ;)

Are you planning on scattering all three through out your yard? Please post pictures after you plant them.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This nursery did have all hydrangeas 50% marked down. the 2nd one will be planted in another sun garden as a focal point (but I have to relocate a dwarf burning bush currently in that spot), next to a couple black eyed susan and garden mums with dark red bloom -one of them have been in full bloom since mid-July and I did not have the heart to pinch off the buds_:). On the other side of this garden, I have a variegated weigela so hopefully will reasonate well with the Limelight. in Between them I have 3 mixed Gay Butterfly Butterfly bush (creame, pink, and organge)which are blooming their heart out now. Both sun gardens are put in this spring in the front yard. I will post pictures after the planting.

The 3rd one still needs to find a home. I totally understand Melaroma's point about impulse buyer. I was looking for one Limelight but end up with 3, and maybe more now that I am thinking about plant a few along the fence - I may try Pinky Winky for the hedge. We'll see.

Joanne, thanks for the support, I can not wait for my vacation to be over so I can plant them!

Thanks again,
    Vivian

• alisande
    13 years ago

You won't regret it! Now I'm wondering if I'll find some sales here in the fall. I usually don't . . . I don't know what the stores and nurseries do with their leftover plants.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES