Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amac_gw

Annabelle... will this work?

amac
12 years ago

Today I received some "parts & pieces" of an Annabelle Hydrangea... literally.

I had hoped to acquire a cutting from a gorgeous old plant, but ended up with....

1) a large root, with only a nub (no green stem at all) for a stem. I planted this root only (about the size of a large ginger root) in the ground with the stem portion (about 1/2" stem) out of the ground.

2) a long root with a scraggly green stem and a few wilted leaves. Also planted this one in the ground.

3) 2 scraggly stems with a little, tiny, bit of rootlets... I planted these in a pot, place on a north facing covered porch, which receives morning sun.

4) one stem with no roots at all - wilted. This one, I cut the tip, dipped in rooting hormone and planted in a pot on a north facing covered porch.

Do you think any of these will develop into a plant? I have read many times the proper propagating methods from HydrangeasHydranges, but this is what I was left with... so I tried to make the best of it.

The original plant has some sentimental value, so I'm hoping at least one of the above attempts will work.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

AMAC

Comments (6)

• Vicki
    12 years ago

If you'd received these roots in early spring I'd say maybe. Not sure how long these have been out of the ground. That can't be good. It sounds like there was no soil with them since you are able to describe the roots. I'm wondering, in July, why there was no green stem or just scraggly with wilted leaves. Sounds like a dead plant. They can be divided in the spring, but don't know about bare rooted in July.

• amac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sunnytop - thanks for the reply.... The original plant looked beautiful - when these "pieces" were taken. There was a little bit of very loose dirt with them, but it fell off easily.

The plant pieces were out of the ground for approx. 5 hours.

As I said before - this method is not what I was after, but what I received. Just trying to make something work because the plant does have sentimental value...

As it stands today - a day and a half later... the one that was only a stem that I used rooting hormone on - looks dead already - I kind of expected that.

The piece that had a stem and some rootlets - actually is standing up and doesn't look too bad. Not perfect - but not dead... I'm keeping it in mostly shade and making sure the soil is slightly moist - its blazing hot here!

The 2 pieces with basically only roots - well - I guess I won't know until next year - can't see much of anything. I am keeping a close eye on these as well...

I could definitely go buy the Annabelles anywhere - but this plant means something to our family - that's why I'm giving it a go.

Say a prayer for them : )

• amac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

*Update*

If anyone is reading this.... It's been a week now and I am very hopeful and excited!

1) The root with the scraggly stem looks promising (I hope.) The stem is completely wilted, but I see 2 new sets of leaves just barely starting to develop. Yipee! Should I cut the top (wilted and black) off and hope the other 2 sets of leaves below will develop?

2) The root with nothing but a woody stub - no green or anything is now looking like a new leaf or stem is trying to emerge from the very bottom- new green growth!! : )

3) The other 2 pieces I planted in pots do not look as promising, but I am still keeping a close eye on them and hoping for the best!

Thanks!
    AMAC

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Congratulations!

Annabelle roots and transplants rather easily, so we will hope for the best--here's lots of baby Annabelles to you!

Kate

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    12 years ago

The two annabelles I got were pretty aweful looking sticks, with not what I thought was a root.. I didn't think they were even worth planting. My friend took the time to get them from her neighbour. So in the ground they went. There both in full bloom this year looking pretty much like they did when I saw them at her neighbours. There beautiful....Very happy.

Mark

• madeyna
    12 years ago

Congrats on them doing well. I took cuttings out of the garbage a few falls ago and dunked them in rooting hormon and kept them in a window over the winter . Everyone of them took but a least half of them lost thier new leaves over the winter and looked like dead twigs but they did grow back in the spring. I would cut off the blackend areas you were talking about.