Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmac78

'Endless Summer' Originals (Pics)

rmac78
12 years ago

Just wanted to share some pictures of my 'Endless Summer' Hydrangea's. I bought these last year in 5 gallon pots and they are growing like weeds. They do require a lot of watering as they droop almost daily, but it is worth it. I really like how the flowers range in color from pink-purple-blue.

Comments (9)

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

Just lovely! Thank you for sharing!

• matt_in_mi
    12 years ago

Very nice. What color where they last year?

My ES plant is going on 6 or 7 years old now. When I brought it home from the nursery, it was a vivid blue. The following year, blue and pink, much like yours. The following year, all pink. My native soil isn't acidic enough for blue blooms to occur naturally so my hydrangeas always revert to pink blooms if left on their own. That may be what yours is in the process of doing.

• rmac78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Matt I planted them in spring of '10 and they were vivid blue. I think you are right that they are slowly getting acclimated to my soil and slowly turning pink. I wondered if that were the case and now that you say the same it is probably true. Do you add some ammendments to keep them blue or do you just let them stay pink?

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    12 years ago

Aluminum sulphate-used sparingly will help but you will also need some other acidifiers to get blue. Hydrangeas next to the concrete foundation of the house also have a lime and hence pink effect. Here in Vrginia they go blue in my area-unless next to the house or in pots....

• vbnet
    12 years ago

They are BEAUTIFUL. =)

• melaroma
    12 years ago

Lovely! I'd park myself in front of them and enjoy them for an hour or two every day, lol.

Are you watering them every day? Ive learned that if you water them longer but less frequent (say every three to four days) they stop wilting as much. Try sticking your finger into the soil to determine if they need water and water accordingly. You want to train the roots to go deep for the water thus making them more drought tolerant by watering for longer. I simply lay the hose at the base of the plant and come back after five minutes and move it to the next plant. Either way once they are established they wont wilt as often.

Mine are also turning pink but ive given up the fight and decided that pink is as lovely as blue (it's also a lot less work).

• October_Gardens
    12 years ago

You can definitely play "tricks" with these ES, as their pliability seems "endless". I've got 3 planted in a row - one's solid blue, the middle solid pink, and the other is solid purple, and that tickles me whichever of the colors. They are situated in a low spot along the north wall of an addition room. They sit about 1' above the water table, and they situate their roots just above it, so they never need watered. I suppose the colors are produced by how differently "tainted" water runoff collects in different places along the wall. Amazingly too it seems like dieback actually increases bloom size, as the new thick stalks from the base produced blooms the size of my head (!) whereas the slimmer stems from old wood and the like produced baseball sized blooms.

• matt_in_mi
    12 years ago

I use aluminum sulfate and also garden sulfur each spring. It has taken a couple seasons, but now my ES blooms are all blue once again. Each spring, I just peel back the top soil a few feet around the ES, sprinkle a bit of aluminum sulfate and garden sulfur around it, and then replace the topsoil. It would probably be just as easy to sprinkle it around and then use a spade to scratch it in a bit.

Good luck!

• rozaholik
    12 years ago

Beauties!