Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

Forcing change in color of blooms

loves2cook4six
14 years ago

Hi All

Let me start off by saying I am NOT a gardener at all and am very grateful for any help you are willing to share. I've haunted the kitchen forum while remodeling the kitchen and the cooking forum since and now am here for yet more help and advice...

A few years ago, we planted some hydrangeas in our backyard. We live about 30 miles northwest of Chicago. I am almost positive when we bought them that the blooms were blue or purple but every year since, they have been blooming white.

They are planted in the SW corner of our yard, under a large oak or maple tree that also has vinca growing underneath it. Other than some late morning sun, they are mostly in the shade

This year I put some more in the front yard on the east side of our house and they get a lot of very hot morning sun. These I am 100% positive were purple when I planted them. They went into shock and almost died but are coming back now and the blooms are... white.

So what is going on and how do I get those beautiful blue purple blooms back and keep them that color?

Thank you again for the help

Comments (2)