Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbearmami

Strawberry Vanilla Hydrangea - leaves turning yellow

bbearmami
9 years ago

hi all,
I just planted 3 strawberry vanilla hydrangea a few days ago and their interior leaves are starting to turn yellow. At first it was just one but today its all 3 of them.
I've filled the hole with triple mix when i planted.
My neighbor walked by and suggested i water the area around the 3 hydrangeas and not just underneath it coz he noticed the soil around it is real dry so its going to suck up all the water.
Should i be worried that the leaves are turning yellow?
i've sprinkled time release flowering shrubs fertilizer and watered with plant food...
Is it necessary buy and add liquid iron?
thank you :)

Comments (2)

• bbearmami
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

wanted to add that i am watering them everyday.
    they are in the sun and do water it maybe twice a day when its really hot and sunny

• luis_pr
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is a bad time for planting hydrangeas as the environment is quite hot and there is little humidity. As a result of heat stress and transplant shock, some leaves may yellow out. Usually old leaves react this way. Leaves in too much sun can also turn yellow but in this case, only leaves in direct contact with the sun would be turning ALL yellow and the other leaves would remain dark green. Doubt this is you though since paniculatas like VS can handle full sun and your sun is not as intense as it is here; but keep an eye on that so you know what to do (temporarily give them shade{{gwi:807}} somehow). Leaves that turn yellowish (but the leaf veins remain dark green) can also have a condition called iron chlorosis.

Leaves can also display a wilted look when the plant looses moisture thru the leaves faster than the roots can absorb it. Very common in the summer with new shrubs. Wilting episodes should be checked to make sure the soil is not dry or almost dry. But most of the time, they will recover on their own by the next morning. These episodes will occur on the first few summers. Once the plant becomes established in your garden, it will develop a root system capable of overcoming a large number of these wilting episodes but, eh, one gets them when temps are plain ole hot. I am in the 100s now so I see these problems happenning now.

You can help the shrubs by maintaining the area well mulched (3-4" of mulch up to the drip line or further) and by monitoring the soil moisture several times a week until low Fall temperatures arrive.

The finger method can help you determine when to water so you do not overdo it by watering twice every day: give them 1 gallon of water per plant when a finger inserted into the soil to a depth of 4" feels dry or almost dry. Test the area near the base trunk, ie, where the roots are & cover the little hole again when done.

When watering, it is best to water outwards starting from the area where the rootball is. Water only the soil and do it early in the morning. At this very moment, the roots are located in the area where your potting mix resides and roots have not ventured yet "outside", into the garden soil. Do moisten that edge between the potting mix and the garden soil but it is critical not to forget about the root ball. If it dries out, it will repel water and be hard to get it to absorb water again. Check mulch levels twice a year or whatever works for you as mulch will help you reduce waterings and conserve moisture, as well as protect the roots from the heat.

There is no need to add fertilizers this year as most newly purchased plants will have those round fertilizer pellets in the potting mix. Besides, we are late in the growing season. You want to fertilize from Spring thru July only so the plant will go dormant in the Fall and not stay in growth mode thru Fall or winter. Next Spring, you can add a 1/2 cup to 1 cup of organic mulch or cottonseed meal. Hydrangeas are not big eaters like roses, so this will suffice for the year. If you want to, add "weak" fertilizers like coffee grounds, liquid seaweed or liquid fish but stop all fertilizers by July.

Liquid iron is an amendment added to prevent iron chlorosis. This is a temporary condition where the shrub cannot absorb iron from the soil and is common in alkaline soils. If your soil is acidic, you do not need it. If your soil is alkaline, your hydrangea will benefit from regular doses of amendments that will add this iron (amendments like liquid iron products) or other granular products like aluminum sulfate, ammoniun sulfate, iron sulfate, green sand, garden Sulphur, etc. I amend once in Spring and again in late Summer or early Fall if the leaves display a light green to yellow color (but the leaf veins remain dark green). A neighbor or a nearby plant nursery can give you an idea of how alkaline or acidic soils are in your area. If you want to be proactive, you can also buy soil testing kits for soil pH, although they may be hard to find in some places at the end of the growing season.

Enjoy your VSs!
    Luis

This post was edited by luis_pr on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 5:13