Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quickfire not blooming

Posted by Bsze 3(MN) (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 0:09

Hi all!

I planted a 2 gallon quickfire hydrangea last year and it bloomed wonderfully. This year, however, it has yet to put out any buds and I'm starting to worry that I won't see any blooms. I pruned it in early spring and since then it has doubled in size (it's about 2' by 2' now). We did have an unusually warm summer this year for Northern Minnesota. The poor thing had some brown spots on a few of its leaves and looked droopy at the worst heat but since the cooler weather has returned, it has rebounded and looks very healthy. Can anyone shed some light on the situation?

It's in full sun (planted on the South side of the house) and gets a couple of hours of shade during the afternoon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quickfire not blooming

For some reason, Quick Fire will NOT bloom favorably if you prune it in spring. Prune this one in early fall only or not at all.

If it has not bloomed by now it won't this year.

Since it is still fairly small, try letting it go untouched til next year and see what happens.

o

• Posted by Bsze 3(MN) (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 9:21

I kinda figured that was the case... No blooms this year, I guess. :( I sure hope it does next year.

Thanks for the tip!

o

• Posted by marcindy z5b, Indianapolis, I (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 10:30

I had a similar problem with White Diamonds, it was stunning last year when I bought it and transitioned to the ground without missing a beat. This year a handful of pathetic looking flowers on a shrub that looks pretty awful. I didn't cut it back at all, and I watered it daily because of the heat and drought we are having. I am holding off judging this variety until next year. However, a repeat of this year and next year this space will open up to some better variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here