Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Diamond Hydrangea Tree attracts Flies

Posted by beeper Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 08 at 8:07

I have a lovely 7' tall pink diamond hydrangea tree, but it seems to attract hundreds of flies! Does anyone know why, or what I can do about it?? (picture of tree at link shown below)

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of pink diamond hyd. tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Diamond Hydrangea Tree attracts Flies

Some pests that suck plant juices from the leaves underside will secrete a black mold/honeydew substance that in turn attracts other insects like ants. Determine if the shrub is being infected by aphids, scale, mealybugs or whiteflies and then apply an appropriate control such as lady bugs and insecticidal soaps.

o

Hydrangea paniculata's have fragrant flowers. That may be what is attracting the Flies. That said, I have never observed them on any of mine. However, you may have a species of Fly that is not common in this area.
Rb

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 0:59

Are you certain they're flies.

My paniculata get lots of flying critters, too. But they're all sorts of small flyers related to bees and wasps.

o

I have tons of flies in my back yard which is very small (I live in a town house in the city) it never occurred to me it might be my pink diamond hyd! Yikes, I hope that's not what is attracting the flies because I would hate to have to take these plants up... how does one find out? are there other people out there with this issue?

o

• Posted by ditas z5a IA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 31, 08 at 12:52

Hello H lovers - I have several H paniculata bushes as well as all sorts of flying critters big (swallowtail butterflies) & small (smaller than flies DK what they are) & a few flies, that come to the blooms too! As razorback33 said the fragrance attract them ... nectar, I'm certain. The same critters do not come as plentiful, to the mopheads in my observation, since they have no fertile ones. It seems that the fertile florets are the ones they come to.

I don't spray - 'have never bothered/stung me nor others here ... must be too busy or too drunk to bother with the likes of us!!! LOL The only ones I try & catch with a net are the Black Hornets - very energetic flyers & sly! I also warn those who stop by, & sniff the blossoms ... for obvious reasons!!!

Now that the fertile florets have fuzzed up & matured - dropping & dusting their bases, there are less of the critters & have moved on to the others - bloomers ... Butterfly Bush, Aster, Rose of Sharon, Lantana Blue Beard etc.

For whatever it's worth ... enjoy our last few months, before we put them to bed!!!

o

My paniculatas certainly attract flies too, esp. my Quick Fire, and to some extent, my Pink Diamond. However, that never bothered me.... they did not seem to damage the plants at all, so I just ignored them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here