Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Pinky Winky and Vanilla Strawberry question

dublinbay z6 (KS)
13 years ago

I'm just wondering about the growth characteristics of these two plants since they are the first panculatas I've ever planted.

Both arrived in spring as a couple sticks with roots. They have grown fine and have 5-7 blooms each (though no pink color). They are about 2-2.5 ft tall, other than that one cane that suddenly took off to about 3.5 ft. However, what I notice is that basically both have one "stem" emerging from the ground, and all the rest of the growth is "branches" growing off that one "stem" starting a couple inches above the soil line.

I don't know the correct words for what I'm describing--maybe this not-so-good pic of Vanilla Strawberry can help you see what I mean.

Do these panculatas grow kinda like a tree, with one central stem and lots of branches off that stem? Or will more stems emerge with time, each with their own branches?

They are lovely, healthy little critters already--just anticipating how they might look in another year with much more growth and (hopefully) pink-white flowers.

Kate

Comments (7)