Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Hydrangeas - Planting in NJ

Posted by ATekk 6a NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 26, 11 at 8:59

Hi everyone,

I was at Home Depot yesterday during lunch and came across a recent addition of some Hydrangea's in their garden section. $9.99 for 5 gallon very nice sized plants!! The staff was not sure what kind they were as they came delivered unmarked and all blooms were already in the whiteish stage. Needless to say I could not pass up the price and bought that last four they had left. Based on the the slight pigmentation left in the flowers i believe they are the pink/blue mophead kind.

Now to my question...I know this variety does best in full morning sun/afternoon shade but I have also read here and elsewhere that going further north allows them to tolerate more sun. I have a perfect spot in the yard that does not get full sun all day but gets afternoon sun probably between the hours 11/12-5. The spot is just perfect to plant these guys and I was hoping someone could chime in from the area that has successfully planted in afternoon sun.

Thank you everyone!
Adam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Hydrangeas - Planting in NJ

If they were paniculata hydrangeas (blooming the last half of the summer), they'd love that sun shiney spot. However, if they truly are mopheads (blooming the first half of the summer, although a few like Endless Summer do some repeat bloom, or so they tell me), I'd be hesitant about putting them in afternoon sun.

Of course, you can try them there and if they don't like it next season, move them to a better (shadier) spot.

They probably will need lots of water in that location. Let us know how it goes.

Kate

o

Thank you Kate.

I do believe they are mopheads just from the general shape of the dried flowers on the plant when I bought them. My neighbor has the paniculata and his does do very well in full sun.

I appreciate your help and will probably give them a try and just put in the extra effort to give them more water. Unfortunately there isnt a good spot with morning sun to put them and no matter where they go in the backyard it will either be almost full shade or mostly afternoon sun.

Thanks!
Adam

o

I have an Annabelle in full shade but it is "bright" shade (as opposed to "dense" shade) so the shrub has no problems with reduced bloomage and stuff like that.

o

luis_pr...I have two areas very similar to that. They get some morning light for maybe an hour or 2 and then blocked from direct sunlight by a tall fence, but you like you said, bright shade and not dense shade under a tree. I don't think mine are Annabelle but would you say these are better conditions than about 6 hours of direct afternoon sun?

Thanks!

o

I think I'd take a chance with the morning light/shade. My Annabelle likes a bit of sunshine (but not too much), but my mopheads are much happier in mostly shade.

Kate

o

I think that will be the decision. I placed them in their pots in the shadier spot and they seem to be much better during the day. Before by the time I got home the leaves were droopy and would perk up after I watered.

Thank you for your help.

o

My front gardens are morning shade with afternoon sun until about 5-6 pm. I have Annabelle, two Citylines and Hamburg planted and they do very well in the hot sun. However, my Endless Summer hydrangeas need definite shade along with my Glowing Embers.

I have heard that once the plant is established it can handle sun a bit better, but for now I place the plant in a spot that gets shade from the afternoon sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here