Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sow1_gw

Whole hydrangeas turning brown

sow1
10 years ago

I planted 5 little lime hydrangeas in June. They were doing fine, until about a month ago and 1 turned brown. Monday another one turned brown and last night another one. The leaves are still on them and they were blooming. I am afraid I am going to lose them. I water every 3 days from the ground. Have I overwatered? I cannot find anything wrong. Do I need to dig them up and replant with fresh soil? This is my initial reaction. I have never experienced this. We are in a drought in my county.

I found an empty and a live little white 1/4inch seashell on one.. In all of my years of gardening I have never seen any on plants. I do not see any scales on the branches. There are not not any holes in the leaves or curling. Please help. The ones that are still living have beautiful blooms. I posted this first in the wrong forum.

Comments (8)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

Where do you live and how much sun are they getting? Of all the plants in my garden the Hydrangeas are the first to react to not enough water or too much sun. Al

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Every third day is probably not enough water for new plants in a droughty area. How long and deeply do you water when you do? What is your soil like?

FWIW, improper watering is the primary cause of new plant failure.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    10 years ago

Sounds like too much or not enough-do you water deeply?

• sow1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in south central Arkansas. We are in a drought. I bought 6 and 3 look great blooming, but 3(in the middle) turned brown, the last one was full of blooms. All of my other plants are growing blooming including a little lamb hydrangea. I do have oyster scale. Never had this before, but an horticulturist told me they should not be dead. They are not dead dead. I am treating with Bayer insecticide systemic and spray. Picking off scales as I see them, even in the dirt. I do water deeply, they thought I might need to water daily too. This is the first time I have not made my own soil when I transplanted them from pots. The scale did get on my eastern snowball viburnum, too. I do need a permanent solution before it gets to my other plants and trees. Thank you.

• sow1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

An update; I have dug up the 3 and the others so far are doing well.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

"Water deeply" doesn't work with recently installed plants.
    The reason: The roots are limited to the rootball.

Check the moisture content of the original soil. Likely they went too dry.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

jean001a makes a point that needs reinforcing. When you plant a new container grown plant, ALL the feeder roots are in the root ball. It takes a month or two to grow into the garden soil, even when the ball is loosened when planting. For the first month the water must be applied DIRECTLY to the root ball. Many plants are lost by watering the soil around the plant, which never gets where it is needed. Al

• sow1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If it is a water issue, I would say too much, but the others are doing fine. I am not use to losing plants to water issues or planting in the heat of the summer. July is when I usually go to KY, take care of my aunt's flower beds, bring home what she does not want, and buy the half dead ones from the garden centers. This is the first time I have used an irrigation line instead of carrying a water hose around. That may be a big issue. But my Little Lamb Hydrangea that is 3 yrs. old is absolutely beautiful. One flower head is over 14 inches long. They are turning pink now. I would recommend it to anyone.